You can type here any text you want

start an dies

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

shmed

ok long story short sorta lol
86 t rebuilt engine, get it installed an it fires up an stall immediately regardless of throttle input..
so far replaced crank sensor, battery. tried 2 different chips,
the car has the charcoal cannister removed , the ac an heater box unit, the cruise an the wiper motor.

the scan master shows no codes,

key on fuel press 35 best i can get cause it doesn't run long enough
the sensor for water temp on the top of the intake is broke off so not connected.
could the cam sensor be off ??
or the cam not degreed properly?
help lol

ok long story short sorta lol
86 t rebuilt engine, get it installed an it fires up an stall immediately regardless of throttle input..
If you pushing the gas pedal before turning the key you'll be confusing the computer
so far replaced crank sensor, battery. tried 2 different chips,
Is the crank sensor installed correctly using the correct slot with NO touching of the reluctor ring?

key on fuel press 35 best i can get cause it doesn't run long enough

That's a big clue. 2 seconds of run time is more than enough to pressurize the fuel rail. Pull your plugs and see if one of them is soaking wet with fuel. Or possibly you have a busted hose in the tank or you pinched the solid line while R&Ring the engine.

the sensor for water temp on the top of the intake is broke off so not connected.

For what you're sorting out, that one doesn't matter.

could the cam sensor be off ??

It could be if you didn't set it correctly during the rebuild. [/quote]

or the cam not degreed properly?
help lol

It could be if you didn't degree it correctly.

Any chance you have a chip with anti-theft and forgot to turn it off when replacing the battery?

Also, turn the key on engine off and put your scan tool to the MAF reading... Without starting the car push the pedal to the floor.... Does the MAF reading move or does it stat static?

If it moves, you have a MAF problem that could potential cause the dieing (but not the fuel pressure problems)

thanks guys...
chip is a TT no anti theft
crank sensor installed using outer most groove air gapped at .25
cam sensor installed using caspers cam tool
maf didn't change when floored

for the hell of it i unplugged the maf and tried it ... it started an ran weird...
time to break out the back up one... off to fix the rest of the stuff

well so far the only way the car will continue to run is with the maf unplugged???
maybe ecm>?

ive swapped out 3 different mafs so far1 directly off my gn an same results....

Last edited:
ok so heres the thing maybe... unplugging the iac motor allows the engine to start an idle high of course,
would a faulty iac cause this start an die I'm experiencing?

Not necessarily. During start up the IAC ratchets out then retracts back to set the high speed idle.

What doesn't make sense is if the reason your car won't stay running is because the IAC has choked off the air... then when you unplugged it, it will stay in the choked off position. (that's assuming it's working right and not shorted or open or has the ability to make the ECM fruit out).

When you actuate your throttle blade from idle does it act like it's stuck then snaps open (indicating that it's FULLY closed at idle)?

Back