You can type here any text you want

Start up procedure for stored recent rebuilt engine

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dwall

Probably dumb question but recommendations anyone? It has only been started maybe 10 times over a year with no extended run time.

Turn it over to move some oil around before ignition right? Looking for an easy disconnect before turning the key I guess.

How long since it was started last? If it has been less than a couple of months I would disconnect the orange ecu wire at the battery terminal and crank it for a bit to build oil pressure. Reconnect it and fire it up.

If its longer than that you have to start looking to see if your gas has turned into paint varnish and what the oil looks like etc before going down that road.

The proper way is to pull the cam sensor and prime the oil pump with a drill and a prime tool before the motor is turned....

RL

I recently started driving a GN that hadn't been started in nearly three years. I just changed the oil and filter, siphoned the old gas out with a $15 siphon pump that I bought at Advance Auto, dumped in fresh gas, changed the fuel filter, pulled the plug wires from the coils, cranked it several times, reconnected the plug wires, fired it up, and drove it around as though it had been parked just the day before. :)

I recently started driving a GN that hadn't been started in nearly three years. I just changed the oil and filter, siphoned the old gas out with a $15 siphon pump that I bought at Advance Auto, dumped in fresh gas, changed the fuel filter, pulled the plug wires from the coils, cranked it several times, reconnected the plug wires, fired it up, and drove it around as though it had been parked just the day before. :)

You disconnected the "fire" but not the fuel! :eek:

Yeah, I guess the ECU wire would have been the way to go, huh?
Maybe I'm not the first person who should be giving advice in the tech section. ;)

OK thanks for the responses.

Thought maybe I was missing something. I have disconnected the orange wire before starting a couple times. I just wondered if there were other things I could do. I guess there are a couple as Rick mentioned etc. but I won't be going that far.

Its E85 so if it doesn't fire I will empty what's there as it has sat for about 5 months I think. Moving this project around under its own power will be a big plus for my beat up old body. ;) BIG big plus.

It's been about couple of years since I too started to bring back some life to my 87 GN, since being in storage and in my garage for about 10 years.
You should change the gas whether it turn colors, varnish or collects moisture; it could clog up your injectors and you'll have more problems to deal with. You should also replace all hoses, gas, oil, all filters, spark plug wires, spark plugs, and you should also remove the radiator bring it to a radiator shop to have it boil, and brush if it's not damage already from just laying still.

Once you have done all, you should listen to TurboBuRick since he like a mentor to our cars:
"The proper way is to pull the cam sensor and prime the oil pump with a drill and a prime tool before the motor is turned"

Back