You can type here any text you want

steel caps

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gnbeginer

I just bought a 109 block locally that had all 4 steel caps installed. My question is the bottum of the caps are flat. As if there was a girdle on this motor. I didnt get a girdle with the motor. So do I get another girdle or is it gonna be ok to run these caps without one. My build is going to basically stock, small cam, 009's and a 49 turbo.

billets are flat but not even with the pan rail or flat to where the bolts touch the caps ...are the #1 #2 #3 caps even with the pan rail ??

post a pic somewhere off site at a picture hosting site and a link to it

sounds like it had a girdle thats now gone
you should also find that the #4 cap should have sleeves welded at the bolt holes to bring the fastener point to the pan rail height

you need a girdle or new caps, i wouldnt run with the three caps trimmed down

a girdle is around 450 (RJC) but the labor to get one done isnt cheap
makes you wonder what issue there is with the block that someone would pull the girdle from a block after all the work to get one on

I know what you are sayin. After a long talk with previous owner, he bought the caps from someone on this board. they were apartly off a blown up motor. he gave me the original caps that go to the block. As far as the girdle goes - I am going to get the new one the jdpozlin has(rjc). I have a friend that has a engine machine shop that I work in part time, he will do the machine work as needed. Have been reading about all maching that needs to be done - have talked to my buddy at machine shop - he says it wont be a problem - he has machined all kinds of motors for girldes. he makes sure all caps are same heights them machines block according ly etc etc

a girdle is around 450 (RJC) but the labor to get one done isnt cheap
makes you wonder what issue there is with the block that someone would pull the girdle from a block after all the work to get one on
Oil leak....I know some have pulled them to resolve oil leaks...mine drips a little, a piece of old cardboard does wonders..not worth pulling it off.

the girdle on my 109 never leaked over 3000 miles the key is 3 to 5 thousands between the block and girdle and the right stuff on pan rail around every pan stud

do you plan on using the stock crank? i would rather have a steel crank in there. there is no point trying to hold in a wet noodle with a girdle.

nope - new combo is a 4340 steel crank and h beam rods and j&e pistons.stock crank is trashed on number 6 rod and number 3 main. un-savable. I knew this car was gonna be a little bit of a pain to build since it was in pieces - but I got at the right price. So I am not going to complain to loudly

Back