Steering Wheel Re-Conditioning

I have never seen any grey or burgundy cow skin. When these came from Buick there are basically painted/dyed as well. The grey doesn't go all the way though the leather even from the factory. The original color from my wheel was coming off from the acids from my skin and the 25 years of wear.

So say I have to repaint the wheel every few years. It will take me another 15 years before I have to go and get more paint. So in 15 years I will have to spend another 15 bucks on paint. How much do they charge to recover the wheel? Way more than what it cost me.

Yes locktite 414 will fill in the cracks and nicks perfectly and you won't know the difference. I just put it on in thin coats and built it up as it dried. Once you have the cracks filled in you sand it. After you have it prepped/cleaned you tape it off and paint it. Leather is somewhat absorbent and the paint soaks in a little so spray it in light coats. Trust me you will be just as amazed as I was.

Think about it this way. If you try it and it doesn't work what are you out? You send it in and get it recovered but I bet you won't!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Maybe a dumb question but when you're sanding the filler how do you keep from damaging the leather on the wheel?

You don't use very much pressure and since the glue is higher than the leather it makes it easier to tell when you are touching the leather. You only need to use fine sand paper.

Well, I decided to follow Member groumoutis's process - and since my car sits in my garage more than I drive it anymore - I have to say that I am certainly pleased with the results.

I used SEM flex primer and their Interior Dye - which I certainly used before - with good results - on gauge pods, shifter handles, glove box door.

I got < 30 dollars into it - yet I do indeed have some time into re-finishing this wheel.

Before pics were posted previously in this thread.

Here are the after pics.

001.jpg 003.jpg 013.jpg

Lastly, groumoutis - Many Thanks for sharing your Procedure with me !!!

Here's a better pic of the "region" on the steering wheel that required re-constructing to the leather.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
No problem. I am glad to see it turned out well for you. Like I said before, even if you have to touch it up every few years it saves a ton of cash. Plus the personal satisfaction of knowing the work you put in to it to make it look good.