You can type here any text you want

Stereo upgrade question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JeffW

Whistlin' on by. Wossshhh
My 87 GN currently has a "low quality" pioneer cd head unit along with some low end 6 x 9s in the rear and horrible 3.5s in the dash. This system was installed 5 or 6 years ago and is definitely low budget, but better than the original GM system. I have some components I took out of a late model Ford pickup that I had upgraded the stereo. I made sure to keep them when I sold the truck. Here's what I have:

Pioneer DEH-P4400 head unit (50 x 4)
Phoenix Gold QX 150.4 amp
Phoenix Gold QX10 10 inch sub
4 MB Quart 5 x 7 speakers

The setup sounded great in the truck, and I would like to install it in my GN. Is there any reason I couldn't use 2 of the 5 x 7's in the rear deck ? I would also unhook the dash speakers and not replace them because I don't want anyone going into the dash again. I also will not cut the doors to install speakers there. Considering I need access to my ECM to change chips, how can I mount some speakers in the front ? Some sort of kick panels that still allow ECM access ?

Thanks,
Jeff

Well, for your front stage...

You could use some Q-forms kick panels. They require you to move the ECM though. Those are what I use, and I mounted my ECM up near the glovebox. Still easy to access to change chips. They will hold a 5.25" driver and a tweeter.

You could also get some custom door panels made, that will let you fit the drivers in the bottom of the door. Audiowizard on this forum makes good door pods if you are looking into that route. If you are concerned about your factory panels, I would get new lower door pieces and keep your originals.

I have no experience with the adaptors for 6x9s in the rear deck, so I cant really help you much there. Only thing I would say is that most 6x9s I have seen and heard are better at producing bass, so that might be a consideration.

Well,
I just couldn't bring myself to cut the door panels, so I went with Boston Acoustics FX3 3.5" in the dash, and BA NX97 6 x 9's in the rear along with a trunk mounted sub box laying on it's back with the Phoenix Gold QX 10 pointing upward toward the rear deck. I did of course use the Pioneer DEH-P4400 (50 x 4) and the Phoenix Gold QX 150.4 amp that I already had. The system sounds great to me. I'm sure some of you experts such as Audiowizard might find it lacking compared to your killer systems (no slam on anyone, actually a compliment to your knowledge). I just wanted everyone to know that if you must use the 3.5" dash speakers, those FX3's hold their own pretty well. Main thing is I'm pleased with the system and finally have something in the GN that doesn't sound like crap.

Put some caps on the 3 1/2's ASAP. They are good speakers, but they won't be for long without something to control (attenuate) the bass on them. The dash speaker location can be great if done correctly.

I had them use 100hz bass filter material. Will this do the trick or do I need caps. Pardon my ignorance, but what are caps ?

Thanks !
Jeff

Thats probably what they are using to filter.
Caps are capacitors.

I had Bostons 3.5's in my dash for awhile too. Really nice speakers. When I first got my kick panels, I mounted them in there until I got the Infinity components. Boston makes some good stuff!
Enjoy your new system :)

Try to use a filter with a higher cut off. 100 for 3 /12's IMO is a little too low. 200 hz for a simple 6db (1 capacitor) filter will do the trick.

Back