You can type here any text you want

sticky tire for street use?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

the wrath

i wanted to know what is a good sticky tire that would fit a stock gn wheel. i dont want to use a drag radial or slick yet i will be driving this car on the street i just fried my 235/60/15 bfg radial t/a's.as soon as my car hit 18 psi they started spinning like crazy.

i wanted to know what is a good sticky tire that would fit a stock gn wheel. i dont want to use a drag radial or slick yet i will be driving this car on the street i just fried my 235/60/15 bfg radial t/a's.as soon as my car hit 18 psi they started spinning like crazy.

I have a pair of Firestone Firehawk SS20's (255/60/15) on the back of mine (I don't know if they sitll produce the SS20's though).

I was able to cut 1.8 60's times on a local crappy track with them. They're very difficult to break loose, and yield GREAT traction on the street!!
Ask Scot W he witnessed the runs I made on them. The guys in the pits around me on slicks couldn't believe how well they hooked.

You won't have any luck with BFG radial T/A's. They are hard as a rock! I have a set of radial T/A "knockoffs" on my 87, and it can litterally fry them from a 50 mph roll.

Back before drag radials we used to get tires from Pep Boys with the lowest tread life warranty. They were cheap and soft.

Mike

The 450s seem alot softer to me. went through a set of 15s now have a new set of 17s.

hmm...I wonder it it's actually the fact that they aren't as high temp rated as the 555s (non-DR)? That could make sense for them to get a big John Force burn-out then maybe they'd hook. What psi?
My buddy with a SC 5.0 has my old 555s now...we're going to give it a shot.

man theres a guy here in my town that has raced ever since i was little an he always run dayton radial tires. this was behind a big block with 13 to 1 and a solid roller in a 66 elcamino with bone stock suspension. ive SEEN the guy out run big blocks with spray and slicks, small blocks on spray and slicks. i dont know how he makes them work buthe would spin about 1 foot and was gone

I like the Pep Boys too. Just get pair of M&H's and be happy! :p 18psi:rolleyes: ...Wimp!!:biggrin:

i think you should just go out and get the mickey dr's. with the amount of driving you do, the will dry rot before they wear out.

hey jason, hows "the hole"?

You're right, what does he average, 500 miles per year?? 235/60/15 should hold him to the ground. It should have a filling later this week/early next week.:)

I have a pair of Firestone Firehawk SS20's (255/60/15) on the back of mine (I don't know if they sitll produce the SS20's though).

I was able to cut 1.8 60's times on a local crappy track with them. They're very difficult to break loose, and yield GREAT traction on the street!!
Ask Scot W he witnessed the runs I made on them. The guys in the pits around me on slicks couldn't believe how well they hooked.
TurboDave, Firestone still makes them as the Firehawk Indy 500. I don't think anything changed except the sidewall lettering...and their profit margin.

I've got 'em in the same size as you, but never thought about them being sticky enough for the track. Do you do a burnout? Do you walk it off the line or nail it?

TurboDave, Firestone still makes them as the Firehawk Indy 500. I don't think anything changed except the sidewall lettering...and their profit margin.

I've got 'em in the same size as you, but never thought about them being sticky enough for the track. Do you do a burnout? Do you walk it off the line or nail it?

Yes, a serious burnout, ala John Force type. Was then able to launch pretty hard at about 4-5# of boost. I'm betting it could rip off high 1.7's on a better track.

Are these blackwall on the backside?

Back