still tapping

wyk3d

Car wiring sucks!
Ok.....after lots of money and frustration my car is still #$%#@ tapping/clicking whatever. Ive changed: timing chain, oil pump, cam, lifters, springs, and many sets of gaskets later.......still taps. Tapping gets more pronounced as the car gets hot. It can be heard while driving as well. The oil filter has been cut open and no shavings were found inside. Seems to be coming somewhere from the bottom of the engine. Crank sensor has been adjusted and readjusted. I dont know what else to check, i hear tapping in my sleep now. Someone has some suggestions please? The car is close to being for sale if i can figure the damn noise out.

Dan

I've got the same tapping! Can hear it more when you drive by a wall, very upseting. When did the noise start? Does the tapping go away if you drive the car without the belt (bad I know, but for just a little while?) I can't figure out what mine is, it started when I swapped the valve springs, had the valve covers off 3 times to check the rocker arm retainers, check the torque of the bolts holding the shafts on and look for other things. Same as you, no metal shavings in the oil either. To me it sounds like a misadjusted rocker arm on a small block chevy, but how could that be on a TR? Just letting you know you're aren't alone in wanting to sell it if you can't figure out the noise! Sorry I can't be of any help, maybe someone else??

havent ran it with the belt off and yes by a wall sounds terrible. Pulled back the tranny/flex etc and ran it without that ...ruled out the transmission. Its in the engine somewhere.......what scares me is its in the bottom of the engine and i really dont want to rebuild the damn thing

Crank sensor can click badly and still be the problem. Years ago I had a real bad ticking noise with no other problems. I take it you've put your head down buy the sensor when it's running? Just to confirm it's not the problem.

crank sensor is just fine......adjusted perfectly and not even a bit wiggly down there. End play is .002........bit tight i think....shouldnt it be .004 - .007??

You check the exhaust, headers etc, last time mine was doing that it was the header gaskets partially blown out

Scott