You can type here any text you want

Stock Chip

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

whiner

Is there any way to identify the stock GM chip in a TB?
Is there a GM part # on the chip.

There is a delco part # but I don't know what they are. There will also be 3-4 letters and 4 numbers, giving the broadcast code and maybe the checksum. Anyway, if it is CMW602 that's the 86 chip, ACXA is the late 86-all of 87 production chip, BBKJ is the emissions recall chip from 1989 or 1990. Don't remember what the 89 TTA chip was.

Driveability is the same with both chips. The changes to the BBKJ chip were made for emissions and don't affect performance. One or two of the changes might improve warm-up idle slightly but the others are for closed loop learn control (BLM stuff).

None of the changes affect the ability to “melt tires”.:D

Dennis

The both versions of stock chips have too much timing for today's Fuel.

David

Thanks Guys
I don't remember getting a recall notice for this?
So neither chip is good for 91-94 octane?

Some people think the emission chip does not idle as well as the original. It is a hair leaner everywhere but wot (they tweaked the O2 sensor thresholds slightly), goes closed loop at a lower engine temperature, and may start learning the blms at a lower engine temp as well. I went ahead and used the emissions chip as the base for all of my chips and have never noticed any issues. The stock chips used 21-22 deg of advance at wot (depending on coolant temp), which is a bit much for today's 93 octane pump gas at stock boost levels on a stock motor. Most tuners run 19-20 deg at wot for 93 octane these days, or just turn the boost down a little with the stock chip (oh, the stock chips also expect a 195 thermostat so the fan on/off temps are up there :-)).

Back