You can type here any text you want

Stock Re-Build

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboWhistler

Picked up an 87 with a small knock.
Looking to get engine rebuilt by a reputable 3.8 Turbo builder.
Stock crank, rods, pistons. 208 flat tappet cam.
Stock ported heads/intake.
Hookers Headers, RJC DP and Exhaust.

How much $$$ am I looking at here out the door price including assembly and such?

Located in NC
Thanks

Unless you plan on going into the low 10's or better forget the hookers. They only work well on seriously built cars.

Unless you plan on going into the low 10's or better forget the hookers. They only work well on seriously built cars.

Charlief1,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
The mods listed in my first post are what are already on the car.
I was only posting the current setup so people have an idea of what I have.
Of course I also have a Scanmaster, Fuel pump upgrade with hotwire.

Charlief1,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
The mods listed in my first post are what are already on the car.
I was only posting the current setup so people have an idea of what I have.
Of course I also have a Scanmaster, Fuel pump upgrade with hotwire.
Gotcha now, but I'd either find a set of stockers or buy a set from TA and get some decent headers on it. You'd be suprised how much better the car will drive since you just want a "stock" rebuild.;)

Charlief1,

So you are saying by getting rid of my hooker headers I can gain more power?
I looked at TA headers, they are nice.
I will talk about headers with my future engine builder.

The issues with the hookers is that they're designed for a higer than stock volume. It takes a lot of exhaust gas to fill them up and spool the turbo properly. It's not that you'll get more power but you'll get less lag and a much better drivability out of it. I will point out that stock headers have gone well into the 10's in a quarter mile.;)

Just did a stock rebuild on mine, turned crank checked line bore, cleaned up cylinder walls. All new bearings, hot tanked, magnafluxed, new rings, cleaned up heads with new springs and retainers, custom cam flat tappet from comp cams an lifters, new timing cover and double roller chain all new gaskets. Mine was just over 1,000 and I'm putting it together. Parts are expensive for these motors. Lot cheaper for small block Chevrolet. I have a set of hooker headers also but have a 66 ball bearing and 3000 stall and never had any spool up problems. Spooled fast and never lagged. Also have 3.5 inch down pipe with external gate. Mine will be back together this weekend. Hope this helps.

Picked up an 87 with a small knock.
Looking to get engine rebuilt by a reputable 3.8 Turbo builder.
Stock crank, rods, pistons. 208 flat tappet cam.
Stock ported heads/intake.
Hookers Headers, RJC DP and Exhaust.

How much $$$ am I looking at here out the door price including assembly and such?

Located in NC
Thanks
I see you only have 4 posts so you are probably new to this game. Do a search for Richard Clark (in Burlington, NC) and contact him regarding an engine builder. He will send you in the right direction. If you really want a thrill, ask him if you can visit his shop. Even if you have to take a day off from work, you will come away with a new appreciation for your GN.

I see you only have 4 posts so you are probably new to this game. Do a search for Richard Clark (in Burlington, NC) and contact him regarding an engine builder. He will send you in the right direction. If you really want a thrill, ask him if you can visit his shop. Even if you have to take a day off from work, you will come away with a new appreciation for your GN.
And if you make an impression Richard just might let you use his shop to rebuild it, including showing you how to bore, align bore, ect to the engine.;)

And if you make an impression Richard just might let you use his shop to rebuild it, including showing you how to bore, align bore, ect to the engine.;)
Then you will want Richard to show you how to rebuild the transmission. He also has a dyno....and a paint booth. There are videos on U-tube showing him and his shop. And don't forget to ask him about his car stereo "hobby".

That sounds like a good deal.
How do I get in contact wtih Richard Clark?
I've searched both TB and Google and I find no website or phone number listing...
Only thing that pops up is a winning stereo GN.

Also, any one still have any more estimates on a stock re-build?
Thanks

I paid about $3500 a few years ago at a local shop. That was all parts and labor. You should shop around as I've seen much higher prices, kind of like a paint job. I think some shops charge more based on their reputation, which doesn't necessarily mean you are getting the best deal. They charged me $800 to R&R the motor, so if you have the ability you could bring in the motor yourself (save some money) and the car stays with you. However when it is time to fire it up and break it in, you might want the shop to do it in case something doesn't go right. Here is Richard's info: http://www.ami-media.com/contact.html

Back