You can type here any text you want

Stock VSS differences

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blacknight80

hi guys,

Can someone tell me what makes a green VSS different than a yellow VSS? I am converting my 82 carbed turbo to a HA Sfi and my car is equipped with a yellow unit but has an analog dash.
Technically it should wire up fine I'm just worried the Ecm might think I have a digital dash and whether it really cares as long as it is given a speed reading.
Other than the unit itself does the speedo have a different reluctor wheel inside of it or can you switch just the VSS sensor and get an accurate reading?

Thanks

That would make sense because the cruise on my 82 is the old style transducer set up that would not need a feed from the ecm to set the speed it depends solely on vacuum.

How does the digital dash provide a speed signal to the cruise?

i think the difference is the yellow box doesn't support cruise control

Not so sure about that Paul....my car is not equipped with Cruise Control and it had the "green" VSS box. I've since removed it as the VDO gauges installed don't require the factory VSS and have their own VDO speedometer cable operated VSS sender.

I betcha John Spina at Caspers' might be able to shed some light on the matter.

same as the analog
Not so sure about that Paul....my car is not equipped with Cruise Control and it had the "green" VSS box. I've since removed it as the VDO gauges installed don't require the factory VSS and have their own VDO speedometer cable operated VSS sender.

I betcha John Spina at Caspers' might be able to shed some light on the matter.

heres the scoop from John

http://www.installationinstructions.com/FYI/vss-tech.pdf

qouted from above article
"The pickup head is attached to the VSS Buffer Module which is a green plastic box located in the passenger compartment and attached near the base of the steering column. Note: Single Channel VSS Buffer is housed in a yellow plastic enclosure. Buick Regals have two types of VSS Buffer Modules, a “single channel” and a “dual channel”. The single channel module is used on vehicles which are not fitted with Cruise Control. However, most Regals are fitted with Cruise Control, so the dual channel modules are much more common."

Awesome great info. I am removing the cruise anyways so I'll stick with the yellar unit

Thanks for the help

Thanks Paul.....guess I should check the RPO codes in the trunk then, as my car doesn't have cruise, but definitely had the green dual channel VSS buffer.
Hmmm...maybe the cruise control has been removed somewhere down the line before I bought the car? I'm gonna check.

Back