Stock with Dutt Vs Eastern FMIC

Charles Young

C Young
I originally posted this over in Bison's current IC thread; then realized his discussion was a much higher level data discussion and I wasn't really adding anything there so here is my question:
My car currently has a stock IC with Duttneck. I recently picked up an older Eastern Performance FMIC and made the assumption it would perform significantly better than what I have. Before I installed it, RC volunteered to flow test it for me. To our surprise, it really doesn't flow any better than what I have. He already had data on the Stock GN I/C with the Duttweiler neck; flow = 250. The Eastern flow was only about 255 or so which does not seem significant at all. We actually tested 2 Easterns, mine and another very clean one he had and got virtually the same numbers. Now I am seriously questioning why I should go through the trouble of installing the FMIC. I know the other thing about SLICS is heat soak but for what I plan with my car, I cannot imagine it would be of any real consequence. My car is primarily for the street with a few trips to the track per year at best. My goal is for a mid to low 11's car. Any thoughts on making the switch to the Eastern FMIC?
Thanks in advance to the experts!

If your staying in the 11's the dutt neck IC is fine. I'd spend the money elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some yrs back, I saw a number on efficiency being discussed. Supposedly, a new, stock IC was about 58% efficient. It was also noted that as the cooler cores become corroded, heat cycled, vibrated, solder joints become less efficient, etc, and the initial efficiency drops.

Thanks! All comments much appreciated. My car currently has Alky, 60# injectors with chip, larger than stock turbo but not exactly sure what it is.

Like Chuck has commented of the efficiency of the intercooler is very important in how they will help overall performance in lowering inlet air temps, and we have documented many times a FM has always been better than a SLIC if you are looking a WOT power.

Air flow into the engine at higher boost will carry more heat into the combustion chamber due to it being compressed.

Alky injection will cool the incoming air charge at low and mid-range power, but higher boost and RPM will add heat.

In your case with street driving there may not be any significant difference in performance, but WOT for 1/4 mile will have much higher inlet air temps which will lessen performance.

Maybe not the best comparison, but my race car with a RJC FM will drop the air temp from 90 deg at the start to 80 deg and the end of a run. Same day a SLIC 11 sec. GN will have inlet air approaching 200 deg.

Just food for thought so others understand application, use and performance goals needs to be defined to pick the proper parts for optimum results for their specific application. :)

On stock cam low rpm engines I've seen over 500whp with an eastern front mount. Peak power in the low 4000's with the converter locked. The converter plays a large role in extracting performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk