You can type here any text you want

strange chip ?!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GregInAtl

I got an 86 GN from a friend, he had it since new, and being an older guy (70+ years old), did stuff, well had stuff done, so I dont have alot of info. The chip is wacky, its a Red Armstrong, and it for some reason is set for use at 12 psi, 93 octane, and only works well on the digi dash in Kilos, not MPH. Also, when on Kilo it reads the appropriate MPH, not true kilos, the MPH is WAY low when on that setting and car runs like crap. What the heck has this car had done?! Is this a combination of tranny work and chip making things screwy? I want a turbo tweak chip for more boost and later technology (this is like from late 90s)
Any thoughts?
BTW, set up is TA49 w/ .82 housing, 42 lb injs, adj FPR, and tranny has been torn into to change the valve body.

WOW, I stumped the masses, I thought we had some Gurus here?! Step up brainiacs! :P

I got an 86 GN from a friend, he had it since new, and being an older guy (70+ years old), did stuff, well had stuff done, so I dont have alot of info. The chip is wacky, its a Red Armstrong, and it for some reason is set for use at 12 psi, 93 octane, and only works well on the digi dash in Kilos, not MPH. Also, when on Kilo it reads the appropriate MPH, not true kilos, the MPH is WAY low when on that setting and car runs like crap. What the heck has this car had done?! Is this a combination of tranny work and chip making things screwy? I want a turbo tweak chip for more boost and later technology (this is like from late 90s)
Any thoughts?
BTW, set up is TA49 w/ .82 housing, 42 lb injs, adj FPR, and tranny has been torn into to change the valve body.

Reds 93 chips were normally boost set in the 16-17psi range.
It is more likely that the boost solenoid mounted on the valve cover is the culprit, and is bad. The chip pulses this solenoid to bleed air off the wastegate diaphram, and add the program boost to the 10-12psi baseline for the standard w.g.

If the solenoid is not bad, check to see if hose connection was intentional bypassed (blocked off) from solenoid. This is sometimes done with adjustable type w.g. to manually set baseline boost, and not use the bleeder solenoid.

As far as mph or kilo speedo display errors, the ecu chip has nothing to do with it.
Chip does however control the speed at which the torque convertor will lock-up, and gets its signal off sensor driven by speedo cable.

You might want to call John Spina at Caspers Electronics for info regarding issues with digital dash display errors.

Joe

Good info, and greatly appreciated. I need to post a pic of the vacuum mess under the hood and the hoses w/ screws shoved in them to keep vacuum. I know thats not OEM, but I dont know the orig set up now that we sold all our stock cars.

Back