You can type here any text you want

strange wear on MT Drag Radials

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Scott Atk

Went out tonight for a few blasts in the hot rod. Came back and the tires had some really weird "serrated" wear. Is this normal?? The car didn't seem to hook up as good as usual. Strange.

Attachments

• DSC02657.JPG
    DSC02657.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 227
That type of wear almost looks like they were over heated. That is what I believe they call feathering. How many miles do yo have on them and how many passes? I've seen my slicks do that when driven on the street at BG. (28x10.5 ET Slicks.) Did you win your race? ;)
Interesting indeed.

Patrick

Maybe 200 street miles. 5 passes at the track. This was just some test and tune on my favorite stretch of road. :D

Scott, my mt's do the same thing, and so does my friend's ls1 camaro. We were trying to figure this out too. It seems like when they are fresh, they do that. Its almost as if the rubber just "shreds" off when they are new. They seem to hook the best when they look like that though. I can't get in the 1.4's on them after it goes away! Ill post a pic of mine up tonight.

Scott,

When they start doing that you should swap them. It will help with evening them out.

Scott,
Mine did that too. It never seemed to hurt traction? I know of another local that only runs on the street and his did the same thing.

Scott,
Mine did that too. It never seemed to hurt traction? I know of another local that only runs on the street and his did the same thing.

My new tires so far have not done it, although I have yet to really let them loose.

Mine would do that after hammering on the car on the street. Never seemed to do it at the track, maybe because my burnouts were assisted by water and on the street it's dry (going with the too hot theory)? Didn't really seem to hurt anything though.

Jim

Do not swap them as they are directional. Only swap slicks (every 5-10 passes).

Back