Street chip VS. Race chip at the track?

The Darkside

Heavy Metal Thunder
What kind of time difference will one see from using a 93 street chip w/93 gas at the track VS. using a Race chip w/ race gas at the track?
Would love to hear of some personal experiences.

The Darkside:cool:

As with any of these mundane questions, the answer is "it depends." :rolleyes:

An engine with a lot of potential that is being "held back" with a non-aggressive street chip will see a BIG advantage vs. a stock car getting the same chip upgrade.

IMO a good estimate for a low mod car would be to count on losing a full second when using a street chip vs race chip.

Use my mods for an example.What difference would I probably see? Would also like to see someone who has actually been there & done that give us their #'s.

The Darkside:cool:

It depends

My experiences that a 93 chip with 91 Octane does not perform as well as 108 chip with Race Gas. But there are so many variables. Air Temperature, Car Set up, Track Conditions, Wheels, Tuning, etc.

I've had the most fun draining the tank and filling the car with the highest octane fuel I could find. Leaded will eventually destroy your O2 Sensor, but you can race all day. High Octane Unleaded will minimize detonation. etc.

There are many performance recipies on the net. Stick to those and only change one thing at a time and buy the best bolt ons when you can afford them. But you've got to be careful not to get a 70 series turbo with a stock torque converter/tranny for example.

Find some other buick racers in your area. There's always somebody faster to learn from.

Larry

My best ever run when driving in off the street and changing nothing was a 12.92 (can't remember the mph) with Nitto DR's.

After adjusting the airbags and tire pressure I went 12.72

After adding xylene and upping the boost a little I went 12.33 @ 108mph.

My best ever run with the same combo (old one listed below) was 11.79 @ 116MPH. So it was about a full 1 second difference from the pure street trim.