You can type here any text you want

Street Legal Drag Tires

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bad V6

Hey fellows, I'm soon to be in the market for a new set of rear tires. The car is only driven a few hundred miles per year, occasionally cruising, but usually to and from the track, about 10 miles one way.
Currently I am running a set of 275/60R15 BF Goodrich Comp T/A Drag Radials, these were on the car when purchased. I have been pleased with the handling and wear of these tires. Although I am unable to get the tires to hook, neither on the street nor at the track. I'm looking forward to getting this car dialed in soon, after spending the time and money to go through the ignition, fuel, induction systems, and the interior.
I've noticed that several of you are running Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials. I've been trying to decide between MT ET Street Radials and MT ET Streets (275/60R15 or comparable size). I would appreciate any info on which tire you prefer and how you like them as far as street manners and hooking at the track.
Thanks,
Pat

QUICK 6 said:
I've noticed that several of you are running Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials. I've been trying to decide between MT ET Street Radials and MT ET Streets (275/60R15 or comparable size). I would appreciate any info on which tire you prefer and how you like them as far as street manners and hooking at the track.

I had the same problem with BFGs. I couldn't get them to hook at all. I now have MT ET Street Radials. They have excellent street manners and they hook very well (I've gotten 1.5xx 60' times with the 275/60s). They are wearing decently, too.

I think the MT ET Streets are cheater slicks (nylon ply with a soft sidewall). They don't have the nice street characteristics of a radial.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your views on the tires.
I am leaning towards the MT ET Street Radials, but was curious if there is much of a difference in them at the track. I realize that the bias ply tires are not going to handle as good on the street. I am considering acquiring a second set of tires and wheels solely for the street, at least for the rear. If I do this, in your mind, which direction would be best?
Thanks,
Pat

QUICK 6 said:
Thanks Jim, I appreciate your views on the tires.
I am leaning towards the MT ET Street Radials, but was curious if there is much of a difference in them at the track. I realize that the bias ply tires are not going to handle as good on the street. I am considering acquiring a second set of tires and wheels solely for the street, at least for the rear. If I do this, in your mind, which direction would be best?
Thanks,
Pat

I don't have any experience with the MT bias ply tires, but I did run a pair of Hoosier Quick Time Pro bias ply tires on my car. They're "DOT" tires like the MT ET Streets, but I 60' better with the MT radials and get the better street manners.

I'm content with 1.5xx 60' times so I have 2 pairs of MT radials, one for the track (275/60) and one for the street (275/50). Nothing but a real slick is going to perform like a real slick I wouldn't bother with a cheater slick if you're going to have 2 sets of tires. I'd just get a pair of real slicks for the track and a pair of DRs for street use. But, again, I'm cool with the 1.5xx times.

Jim

I believe that you have pretty much sold me on the MT ET Street Radials, now I just need to decide if I want to run them all the time or not.
I would love to be able to get my 60' down close to a 1.5 or 1.6. My current best 60' is 2.063, so I know the car has a lot more left in it. With my inexperience in this car, I realize that i have a lot to learn, tuning and racing amongst other things, but I am enjoying every moment of it thus far.
Hopefully one day I will be able to get a handle on this thing. I am hoping to get a mid to low 11 second pass out of this thing soon, but I understand that will come with time and experience.
Thanks again,
Pat

I find it strange why some have good luck and bad luck with the same tire.

I understand that individual and driving habits play a large role.

I consistantly run 1.61's on my BFG 255/60 DR's. 100k miles and all the suspension is stock w/ original bushings. This is on a 4lb launch. Tire pressure is 18 lbs.

I am not dissing anyone. I just find it strange that so many have different opinions and results on the same tire.

All I have ever had is BFG Dr. Guess it's time for me to change to MT to see if there really is a difference.

BTW, how many miles are on your rear end? I was in the 1.6x's for ever and then started slipping in the 1.7x's. I changed out the rear diff fluid to Redline NS and now 1.61's again.

I drive my car to work on Friday's. I put about 5k miles a year. Tires last about 1 year.

MT ET Street Radial's are awesome and if you only put a few hundred miles on it per year I'd run em all the time if I were you...I got about 3000 miles out of mine.

The rear end, as well as all other fluids have less than 200 miles on them. The
rear end is a stock 3.42 posi unit. Mechanically the rear end is in sound condition.
It may be that I am not putting enough heat into the tires to get a good enough bite, but I am getting a fair amount of smoke off of them.
The reason my 60' is so slow is that I could not keep from spinning coming off of the line with 2# of boost.
On the street I am unable to kick it half throttle without them going up in smoke,at anything below about 30 mph.
I am not going to deny that it may be me and not the tires at fault, but this car is still new to me, and I do have a lot to learn. I have only made about a half dozen passes in this car so far, and have not made a pass yet that was not at street tune.
I am just trying to figure out which way to go when I purchase new tires.
I do appreciate any advice or help that you are willing to share.
Thanks,
Pat

I don't know much about the BFG DRs, but I have read that they changed their design at some point. I tried them when they first came out and couldn't get them to hook. I've read that the 'new' (not sure how new 'new' is) design is better. For some reasons the MT ET Street Radials work for me.

I heat them up just like I would a slick.

Jim

just got my MT's

I just got a set of MT ET streets, 275/60/15 mounted on my 85 GN rims. They fit perfectly and I have yet to run em at the track. I did a 5lb launch on the street and they hooked pretty well considering I didn't heat them up and I was on a side street. My best 60' on Pep Boys street tire is 2.074. Hoping to cut a 1.6xx if I am lucky. Let you guys know after Sun if weather permits. Have to go smoke so rustangs at Atco...

Man I tell ya I don't knock the ol' Pep Boys Futura's. I had 245/50/16's on the back and I 60ft a 1.83.

I won't lie though. It was a good night. They had the track prepped pretty well for a big event the next day. Normally I 60ft 1.90's, which ain't bad for a "real" street tire.

Back