You can type here any text you want

Stripped hole for plenum

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

72firebird

Wel I recieved my RJC Powerplate a few days ago and took the plenum off the day I got it. Unfortunatley I didn't have enough time to finish so I didn't get to work on it until today.

So I started to put the plenum back together and called my dad to find out if I should do anything special with he gaskets (he almost always has some idea I wouldn't have thought of to make it easier) and he told me to just look in the Shop manual we have for it for torque specs. So when I was looking I couldn't find anything except for intake manifold which was 32 ft lbs. So I went with that just sort of figured they'd be close. Well I was wrong.

I put all the bolts in then started cranking on the first one waiting for the click but then the bolt started to loosten a little so I stopped and decided to just use the short ratchet for the rest of the bolts and tighten them till I felt they were tight. hen I went back around and when I got to the one I use the torque wrench on it just turned and didn't tighten at all. I pulled it out and it stripped the manifold!!!

How can I fix this and I'd like to have it done by Friday night if possible?

Originally posted by 19TTA89
Heli-coil all of them..And be done with it...

Thats what I did...:)

I had that done to my transmission when my dad twisted the head off of two bolts. Where can I get the stuff to do it and how hard is it for me to do? I just sat outside why the guy at the tranny shop did it because I felt the transmission was so expensive I would prefer to have someone whos company insurance would fix the screw up anything beyond what I had already done.

you can get a kit for your thread size at most auto part stores. look on the package and get the correct size drill bit. its very easy to do just dont get any chips inside the intake. you just drill it. tap it and insert the coil

For those of us out there who may be changing the plenum, anyone know the correct TQ specs?

go 1 better helicoil them then use studswith epoxy they'll never come out. Just dont cross thread the nutz when you want to put them plenum back on :eek:

Originally posted by chicagoTTA
For those of us out there who may be changing the plenum, anyone know the correct TQ specs?

I am curious about this too. I just used a very short handled socket wrench with mine and made them as tight as possible.

- Dave

Back