supercharged 3800

shaggy56

Hi everyone Im new to the board. Well to start off my wife has a 1999 Olds 88 with the 3.8 3800 V6 engine. We have had some bad luck lately with it and may need to overhaull it. Well I figured since its getting torn apart I may want to give it some upgrades. I see that these engines came with a supercharger yet my wifes does not. What would be required to do this conversion. I wont have problems with the conversion since I converted my 350 into a 383 with fuel injection and Im familiar with rewiring and computer programming as well as I have overhauled engines in the past.

This forum isn't all that busy. I'd suggest you visit www.clubgp.com. It's primarily a Grand Prix and Regal GS owners site, with lots of good technical info on the 3.8L Series II engine and lots of helpful people.

:)

what u will need to get is, a a HD tranny, intake manfold, SC, injectors from a GTP, Bonneville SSEI, regal GS etc etc, PCM for a supercharged car, throttle body ( possibly i cant remember), pref. shift button ( not needed but recommended witht eh new PCM and i beleive thats about it( if not post more)....however its not gonna be cheap,

You wouldnt also know what the 50th Anniversary came with equipped from the factory do you?

there was an olds with the sc motor. i don't remember which one it was, and it wasn't a popular car but i believe it did exist.

with the money your going to spend you are better off either buying a regal gs or something that came sc. or there is the other route of a turbo, most people doing the turbos perfer to start with the standard engine. the turbo is the better way to go, compareable money, possibly less, and you'll get more out of it.

Ok ive given up on the SC. I appreciate everything you have said so far. Ok well I have the plastic upper plenum intake that warped and leaked coolant into my intake causing my engine to hydrolock. Everything is fine I was able to remove the coolant and the engine is fine. Now I would rather not replace the plenum with another plastic one. I heard that certain years had an aluminum version but Im not sure if it would fit with my existing components.Do you know if its possible to get an aluminum intake to fit and where I could locate one (junkyard maybe). Years would be very helpful.

shaggy56 said:
Ok ive given up on the SC. I appreciate everything you have said so far. Ok well I have the plastic upper plenum intake that warped and leaked coolant into my intake causing my engine to hydrolock. Everything is fine I was able to remove the coolant and the engine is fine. Now I would rather not replace the plenum with another plastic one. I heard that certain years had an aluminum version but Im not sure if it would fit with my existing components.Do you know if its possible to get an aluminum intake to fit and where I could locate one (junkyard maybe). Years would be very helpful.

i'm 99% sure you could use a supercharger housing with a block off plate (sold to convert from a sc to a turbo) you might need a new throttle body, i'm not sure on that. fyi the northstar uses a simular throttle body only bigger, if you want a little extra out of it. but even a hollow supercharger housing is going to cost you, i'd guess twice as much as a plastic prelem.

i think the 04 and newer 3800s (l27 i think?) have metal manifolds, and are compatible with the series II. i know the old 3800s, like 89-95, had metal ones too, but i don't know if they work on series IIs. actually, i have a 3800 manifold off a '90 buick riatta if you'd be interested in trying it.

turbo the car.....but the tranny will be the weak point on the car no matter what. or do a CSC like a novi2000

turbo's have lag why have lag when you can have a supercharger just as easy not to mention the 3800 supercharged is built to run on boost so it will be more relibile

87boostedbuick said:
turbo's have lag why have lag when you can have a supercharger just as easy not to mention the 3800 supercharged is built to run on boost so it will be more relibile

because to convert a na 3.8 to a SC 3.8 costs just as much as a turbo upgrade ( could be cheap if you find a good deal on used parts )

Hello shaggy56

I own a 95 ssei as well a GN, the upper intake on the bonnies and grand prix are a huge issue there is a guy on the bonnevilleclub.com, that rebuilds the upper plenum so they dont leak, ill try and find a link to the section but just type in the search section, theres alot of n/a cars on that site that are really happy with the new plenum, check it out, its cheaper than buying blocker paltes and what not, good luck

Check out this link

http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/kb.php?mode=article&k=38