You can type here any text you want

Surface rust on heads...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

we4Mateo

Double you eee what?
First off, this is totally my fault. I had a set of 8445 heads checked out for cracks. While they were there, the shop wanted to do the valve seats too before I sent them to a guy for some porting and bowl work. While there, the shop cleaned up the head surface as well as the intake surface. I asked them about rust when I picked them up as project was on hold for a few months. Dude says if they stay warm, they'll be fine. So I keep them warm in my basement on the couch and all is good until I grab them the other day and there is some surface rust on the block side of the head where they laid on the couch. I have since WD40'd them and put them in a warm place. The rust isn't deep. Question, will they need to be cleaned up again as a result of this or can I just use some steel wool or something and then re WD40 them?

Please let me know your thoughts. I should have WD40'd them right away even though they said it'd be no big deal. I should have set them down on their sides too, but I thought keeping them off the floor would be warmer. Apparently the fabric of the couch held enough moisture to start some rusting.

If there is no pitting, i would not loose any sleep over it. Wipe them with some CLR, clean with solvent, and use gasket sealant. (I use Hylomar.)

If they were mine, I would use Naval Jelly, you just brush on, 10/15 minutes. Wipe off rust will be gone. Then spray heads with Trans fluid. Rust will not come back

Yep. I'd clean them too. A little bit of surface rust is easy to take care of.

Back