You can type here any text you want

Suspension Help - Eibach vs Hotchkis

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

AR GN

First off, I am a new GN member. I have always loved these cars and recently purchased a VERY nice addition to my garage. It already has quite a few performance upgrades, and now I would like to match the handling to the power. From what I have read, it seems either Eibach or Hotchkis are the top 2 options for lowering springs (Hotchkis being the only one of the two for sway bars).

-Are there any benefits of one brand over the other for springs?
-Are there any "gotchas" on replacing the springs?
-Are new air bags needed when replacing the rear springs?
-Are the front and rear sway bars both needed (as opposed to just the front maybe)

These are just a few random thoughts. I would like to drop the car maybe 1" - 1.5" and help the handling. The car already has Bilstein shocks all the way around. Any assistance is appreciated.

TIA

A link to some pics (previous owner's site):

Exterior

Interior

Fwiw & imho:
I would first find out why that car sits so high. I don't believe that your car is sitting at stock height. And my opinion on lowering turbo Buicks, even only lowering them 1.0"-1.5" is that the sacrafice in overall ride quality is not going to be worth the gain in handling performance. And I don't think that there is a heck of a lot of difference between Eibach and Hotchkis. Both are very quality oriented manufacturers. And I thought that Eibach made/sold sway bars with some of their lowering kits. Try this link:
www.shox.com
Beautiful car, though.
HTH

AR GN said:
First off, I am a new GN member. I have always loved these cars and recently purchased a VERY nice addition to my garage. It already has quite a few performance upgrades, and now I would like to match the handling to the power. From what I have read, it seems either Eibach or Hotchkis are the top 2 options for lowering springs (Hotchkis being the only one of the two for sway bars).

-Are there any benefits of one brand over the other for springs?
-Are there any "gotchas" on replacing the springs?
-Are new air bags needed when replacing the rear springs?
-Are the front and rear sway bars both needed (as opposed to just the front maybe)

These are just a few random thoughts. I would like to drop the car maybe 1" - 1.5" and help the handling. The car already has Bilstein shocks all the way around. Any assistance is appreciated.

TIA

A link to some pics (previous owner's site):

Exterior

Interior

What do you wan't to do with this car Street & Strip or just street?

I had the Hotchkis springs.The car sat to high in the front. It looked like I had people in the trunk. I hated the look. The faster my car got the more tire slip. The lowered springs tied the car down and didn't let the weight transfer. I put some new stocks in. With some HR Parts goodies. ;) love it now

Thanks for the replies. From my understanding, it has the stock springs on it already. It rides good, but sits a little high, IMO. Does it appear to sit a little high in the pics? I plan to mainly drive it on the street, but may take it to the strip on a rare occassion. I just think it would look better with a little drop to it...

Thanks again

AR GN said:
Thanks for the replies. From my understanding, it has the stock springs on it already. It rides good, but sits a little high, IMO. Does it appear to sit a little high in the pics? I plan to mainly drive it on the street, but may take it to the strip on a rare occassion. I just think it would look better with a little drop to it...

Thanks again

Get some drop spindles from Belltech & maybe some springs for the rear.

What size tires are you running? To me it looks like the tire diameter is too small for the wheel opening.

David
87GN

The fronts are 225/50/16 and the rears are 245/50/16 IIRC. If I replace the rear springs, do the air bags have to be replaced as well?

Thanks again guys!

Back