You can type here any text you want

suspension set up

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nwarky

After many months of planning and finally installing everything I thought I would share my results so that maybe someone else can benefit from my experience and results. My GN has 62,xxx miles and I finally retired it from any daily driving last year. My intent is to slowly improve the car's appearance and occasionally run it down the strip. I decided to start with brake and suspension mods intending to improve handling and to lower the car about 1 inch. After many months of reading on the board and also pestering Silver Fox with a few PMs I decided to go with Baer brakes front and rear, SC&Cs Street Comp Stage 2 package, front Moog 5658 springs and Bilstein shocks. Well, the first approach went well as far as the front suspension changes and the brakes. No issues with the Baer modification. (Converted to vacuum brakes many years ago and have never had a problem of any sort.) Front dropped 1 and 1/2 inches which was just fine with me. My big hassle has been the back springs. I decided to go with the Moog 5413 in the rear which so many have praised but it RAISED the car an inch and more importantly the springs were too short so that everytime the rear was lifted the spring came out of its perch. I can't explain why others have not noted this problem. Well, this was a step backwards so I went with the rear spring choice of Silver Fox, the Global West S-69 spring and it works for me. First, the spring is long enough to stay in place and it lowered the car one inch. The front now measures 25" and the rear 26". Again, I just thought I would share my experience. And BTW I have a pair of Moog 5413 springs for sale with 4 miles on them if anyone is interested!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rob, thanks again for your help!

Dean

How about a picture!!!
I need to lower the back of my car about 1 1/2 inches.
I have the kirbans variable rate springs with a 275/60/15 tire. With stock front springs and 26 inch tires the car has too much forward rake. How do the Global west springs ride?? Later, Jeremy

Pictures.

b2cbbea7.jpg

Jason

After many months of planning and finally installing everything I thought I would share my results so that maybe someone else can benefit from my experience and results. My GN has 62,xxx miles and I finally retired it from any daily driving last year. My intent is to slowly improve the car's appearance and occasionally run it down the strip. I decided to start with brake and suspension mods intending to improve handling and to lower the car about 1 inch. After many months of reading on the board and also pestering Silver Fox with a few PMs I decided to go with Baer brakes front and rear, SC&Cs Street Comp Stage 2 package, front Moog 5658 springs and Bilstein shocks. Well, the first approach went well as far as the front suspension changes and the brakes. No issues with the Baer modification. (Converted to vacuum brakes many years ago and have never had a problem of any sort.) Front dropped 1 and 1/2 inches which was just fine with me. My big hassle has been the back springs. I decided to go with the Moog 5413 in the rear which so many have praised but it RAISED the car an inch and more importantly the springs were too short so that everytime the rear was lifted the spring came out of its perch. I can't explain why others have not noted this problem. Well, this was a step backwards so I went with the rear spring choice of Silver Fox, the Global West S-69 spring and it works for me. First, the spring is long enough to stay in place and it lowered the car one inch. The front now measures 25" and the rear 26". Again, I just thought I would share my experience. And BTW I have a pair of Moog 5413 springs for sale with 4 miles on them if anyone is interested!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rob, thanks again for your help!

Dean

You're welcome. I am glad it worked out for you. How does it drive? How is the ride for you?

Rob

Pictures.

b2cbbea7.jpg

Jason

Car looks great! Cant beat a lowered TR! Wheels look like they are tucking perfectly! Rob must have given you some really good advice cause it looks awesome!

Do you guys have an unmounted height measurement comparison between the 5413's and the Globle West springs?

I am extremely please with the ride quality. Steering response is improved. Must also factor in that the car has had all body bushings replaced with polyurethane and the "GNX" bushings installed. No, it doesn't ride like a Town Car because I don't want that. Much less body roll on curves with the suspension upgrades but I haven't tried taking a 40 mph curve at 80 mph either. As for the question about the spring comparison, I don't know what measurement you are looking for. Please explain further.

Dean

With both sets of springs out of the car, what was the difference in height of them?

My stock rear springs measured 14 3/8 inches, the 5413s measured 12 5/8 inches and the Global West springs measured 13 1/2 inches.

Dean

Ok great! Thank you for that info. Did you happen to measure the height difference in the car with the 5413's in place as compared to the Global West springs? I know Rob is very pleased with his Global West springs! I run a set of 5413's in the rear of my Regal and it sits perfectly but I dont like that they come loose in the perches when I raise the car either. It's not a problem while driving but while doing work, I always double check them. Thanks for posting your info! -----Jeremy

P.S. What is the cost difference between the rear springs?

Jeremy,

Here are my results. With the Mood 5413s installed my rear height measured 27 1/4 inches. With the Global West springs the rear measured 26 inches. I started at 27 inches with the original springs. Don't know if it matters but I also have nonadjustable upper and lower UMI rear control arms. That about completes the picture.

Dean

OK that makes sense. Wat size tire are you running in the rear? I'm basically trying to find inconsistancies from Moog with these 5413 springs. When you originally posted that the 5413's raised the car 1" compared to the stock springs, I thought that sounded off but you must be talking about the difference between the MOOGs and the Global Wests. Mine ended up getting the car to sit perfectly. Of course the amount of drop always depends on how old or what type of springs you are running. I'm starting to think the Global West springs are the best choice for lowering the rear of a G-Body! I'll keep my moogs but I have to answer many PM's on dialing lowering a car so I like to have the best info possible. Thanks for posting your results! The car really turned out awesome! You cant get any better set up than this for camber assisting parts! Perfect stance!

Jeremy,

The wheels/tires on the car are GTA fronts with 245/50-16 tires. To clarify, the 5413s raised the rear 1/4 inch compared to my 62,000 original springs. You can imagine my surprise and disappointment with that result. I guess these cars had a wide range of acceptable tolerances even when brand new. I also must consider that I have UMI control arms in the rear and any effect from the body bushings. It is simpler to know what caused what when only one thing is changed at a time.

Dean

Back