You can type here any text you want

swapped chips - now stalls under boost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ez at nova

I hate rice
I got ahold of a 009 chip for emissions to help me pass. When I put this chip in, the car stalls the second boost builds. I can't even get 1 lb without it trying to sufficate. Sometimes it recoveres but sends the idle high for a few seconds. Obviously this makes the car undriveable. As soon as I put my regular street chip back in the car is good as new. I'm not posting complaining about the chip, I just want to understand what is happening since I don't know much about what goes into the chips and making the car run right. Is it likely a timing issue, or just a bad chip? The car idles great and runs fine under zero boost...except it seems to upshift a lot sooner than my regular Jay C. chip.

I can't say for sure without being able to see what's in the chip you have. Most emissions chips increase the rpm needed to enter pe, and/or reduce the fuel for pe. If the boost tables were not changed, your afr in boost will be way off.

Chips that are modified properly for emissions should be put in the car when you leave for the inspection station and removed as soon as you get back home. Why you're even trying to build boost with one of these chips is beyond me.:confused:

Well, I'm not exactly TRYING to build boost. Like you said, I put it in and left to get get the test done. My car stalled getting on the highway because I had to press the gas pedal to merge without getting killed and the turbo spun, making a pound of boost. I could not accelearte fast enough to join traffic without stalling, so I pulled off to teh shoulder and limped to the next exit. Also, The emissions test is certainly going to build at least that much boost as a casual highway merge. It's a MD dyno test so they give it pretty heavy gas at times to match the simulation of different road driving situations. If it stalls driving to the test, it's going to stall on the dyno.
A friend of mine suggested I unhook the watesgate and this may avoid the problem. But, I'd rather just have everything working right and not have to mess with the car like that.

You should have the chip reburned to get a little more boost. I had a Thrasher emissions chip burned and the chip only allows about 5 lbs of boost, anymore and the car will bog.

The chip was designed that way so the guy testing the car does not allow them to go WOT. The guy testing my car was trying to get on it but the car kept cutting out once he hit 5lbs of boost. This was so he can check the brakes on the car. Another guy tried it and all was ok, cause this guy wasn't trying to hammer the pedal.

Good luck!

Dannyo

The emissions chip images at gnttype used to also have an antitamper feature that turned off fuel when pe mode was hit - an accidental mistake by the person who created them. I don't know if they still have that or not, or if yours is based on them, but that's how they were a while back. Most emissions chips only change the fan temps and idle speeds and don't change the pe stuff. Flip side of that is that some don't have the pe stuff right for the injector size since they aren't intended to be used in pe anyway. You have to go back to your source to verify all this.

Back