You can type here any text you want

Swapping Out Turbo. Any Advice?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

hawkfan

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
As soon as my E cover actuator gets here, I'm looking to replace the stock turbo with a TE-44(thanks Bison!). Is there anything else I should replace while I'm at it? I'm looking at getting the flex oil feed and drain lines from G Body parts and stainless steel bolts for the flange and downpipe so far. Is there anything else recommended?

Do you already have a cai, 3"d/p, and some form of boost control?
Yes. RJC racing 3" downpipe and GN1 CAI that I may change to a short ram. I actually do have an AEM Tru Boost gauge/controller, but haven't installed it yet.

Yes. RJC racing 3" downpipe and GN1 CAI that I may change to a short ram. I actually do have an AEM Tru Boost gauge/controller, but haven't installed it yet.
Then you should be good to go. The only other item would be the copper gasket if there is one used w/the old turbo. G-body or FTS sells them.

Then you should be good to go. The only other item would be the copper gasket if there is one used w/the old turbo. G-body or FTS sells them.
Thanks. I keep reading that nobody uses a gasket there, but maybe I should grab one just in case. The only other item I'm gonna get is a turbo protector or filter of some kind.

Thanks. I keep reading that nobody uses a gasket there, but maybe I should grab one just in case. The only other item I'm gonna get is a turbo protector or filter of some kind.
The turbo saver is a great idea, cost usually prevents a lot of people from investing in them, but they are worth it. G-body probably carries them as well. The gasket is about $12.00-14.00 and can save a head-ache if you find you have a sealing problem.

Put some studs in for the drain line.
I may do that since I read it's tough to get everything aligned when installing the new turbo sometimes. I've already decided to leave the drain line itself alone after hearing about all of the stuff I will have to remove just to remove it. The feed line will come with the turbo protector, so I think I have that covered. It would've been great if someone developed a nice inline oil line feed kit that fit more like stock, but oh well.

I may do that since I read it's tough to get everything aligned when installing the new turbo sometimes. I've already decided to leave the drain line itself alone after hearing about all of the stuff I will have to remove just to remove it. The feed line will come with the turbo protector, so I think I have that covered. It would've been great if someone developed a nice inline oil line feed kit that fit more like stock, but oh well.

Oil line replacement isn't too bad when the turbo is off. I went to Harbor Freight and bought the correct size wrench and cut it very short so I could get it on the drain line. Turbo Drain line studs - M8 x 1.25 x 40mm if I recall correctly.

Rob

Back