Swapping Out Turbo. Any Advice?

hawkfan

As soon as my E cover actuator gets here, I'm looking to replace the stock turbo with a TE-44(thanks Bison!). Is there anything else I should replace while I'm at it? I'm looking at getting the flex oil feed and drain lines from G Body parts and stainless steel bolts for the flange and downpipe so far. Is there anything else recommended?

Do you already have a cai, 3"d/p, and some form of boost control?
Yes. RJC racing 3" downpipe and GN1 CAI that I may change to a short ram. I actually do have an AEM Tru Boost gauge/controller, but haven't installed it yet.

Yes. RJC racing 3" downpipe and GN1 CAI that I may change to a short ram. I actually do have an AEM Tru Boost gauge/controller, but haven't installed it yet.
Then you should be good to go. The only other item would be the copper gasket if there is one used w/the old turbo. G-body or FTS sells them.

Then you should be good to go. The only other item would be the copper gasket if there is one used w/the old turbo. G-body or FTS sells them.
Thanks. I keep reading that nobody uses a gasket there, but maybe I should grab one just in case. The only other item I'm gonna get is a turbo protector or filter of some kind.

Thanks. I keep reading that nobody uses a gasket there, but maybe I should grab one just in case. The only other item I'm gonna get is a turbo protector or filter of some kind.
The turbo saver is a great idea, cost usually prevents a lot of people from investing in them, but they are worth it. G-body probably carries them as well. The gasket is about $12.00-14.00 and can save a head-ache if you find you have a sealing problem.

Put some studs in for the drain line.
I may do that since I read it's tough to get everything aligned when installing the new turbo sometimes. I've already decided to leave the drain line itself alone after hearing about all of the stuff I will have to remove just to remove it. The feed line will come with the turbo protector, so I think I have that covered. It would've been great if someone developed a nice inline oil line feed kit that fit more like stock, but oh well.

I may do that since I read it's tough to get everything aligned when installing the new turbo sometimes. I've already decided to leave the drain line itself alone after hearing about all of the stuff I will have to remove just to remove it. The feed line will come with the turbo protector, so I think I have that covered. It would've been great if someone developed a nice inline oil line feed kit that fit more like stock, but oh well.

Oil line replacement isn't too bad when the turbo is off. I went to Harbor Freight and bought the correct size wrench and cut it very short so I could get it on the drain line. Turbo Drain line studs - M8 x 1.25 x 40mm if I recall correctly.

Rob