You can type here any text you want

switching to 28 inch tall tires

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

stevek

I was wondering if i switch to taller tires 28 in. do i have to change speedometer gear so my mph will match and if i have to does any one know were to get this gear and does it go in where speedometer cable goes in tranny or into the gauge on dash.thanks

Measure your exact installed height before using the calculator

This might help. http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedometer-gear-calculator When I switched to 28" tall tires I changed the gear and it is accurate. Can't remember which one it was though, was a while ago. Follow the speedo cable to where it goes into the trans. Remove the retainer and then pull out the gear and change it out and replace. Easy!
thanks that should help me out alot, i'm trying to decide on MT 3755r which are 295/55/15, these seem to have a 10.90 in. wide tread but seem to be 27.80 in. tall and the MT 3754r which are 275/60/15 seem to be 9.50 in. wide but are 28 in. tall according to summit figures, i'll have to measure height when installed like bison said and go from there, thanks again for your help. I was wondering if you hear of anyone running the 295/55/15 out there.if so let me know .

That's what we're here for.;)

plenty of tread tires are in good shape with not that many miles or passes on them.

The 295's likely will not fit without a wheel lip roll. Might even need to notch the rear end, I did.

As posted MANY times before in other threads, the 295s will fit on a 10 " rim with 4.5 BS with NO frame issues. I DID cut and roll up the wheel well lip just as a precaution. I have NO issues and do NOT run air bags. I suppose if your cars body is way off center (mine was a bit) you might have issues but I didn't.

As posted MANY times before in other threads, the 295s will fit on a 10 " rim with 4.5 BS with NO frame issues. I DID cut and roll up the wheel well lip just as a precaution. I have NO issues and do NOT run air bags. I suppose if your cars body is way off center (mine was a bit) you might have issues but I didn't.

I'm not here to get in a whizzing contest with you, I just wanted to pass along MY experience with putting 10 inch Weld Rodlites with 295/55/15's MTDR's on MY car.

100_0582.JPG

Attachments

• 100_0583.JPG
    100_0583.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
I have 10 in. centerline convo pro with 4 in. bs with 2 airbags, i dont mind cutting and rolling the lip and hopefully not have to section frame but it will give me something to do on car when it gets colder out and they look pretty nice to in pictures on turbotguy car, thanks

I have 10 in. centerline convo pro with 4 in. bs with 2 airbags, i dont mind cutting and rolling the lip and hopefully not have to section frame but it will give me something to do on car when it gets colder out and they look pretty nice to in pictures on turbotguy car, thanks

Thanks for the compliment.

I used to have the same style Weld 10 inch, 4.5 backspaced wheels with 275/60/15 MTDR's and a bit of a wheel lip trim done with a sawzall.

I can provide you with pics on Monday if you wish, it didn't look bad at all.

The thing is, they stuck out too far for my tastes so I did the notch and different backspace. I wish I would have spent the money the first time around because someone just got a HELL of a deal on some used wheels and tires from me.

There's no perfect formula to wheels and tires, no matter how many threads say "this is the way to do it"....... It's all a matter of personal preference and I did what I think looks good on my car.

I'm now running a 10 inch wheel with a 5.5 inch back space, 295/55/15's and a notched frame'

However, as tlturbo says, "actual results may vary" .... ;)

My advice is do whatever you think looks good and fits your budget, afterall , it's your car and you can always change it later if you feel the need to, I did.

Good luck!!!!

Back