You can type here any text you want

T/TA Trans ?....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gold69charger

I just got my trans rebuilt in my 89 T/TA and the shop said there was ALOT of medal shavings in the pan:( It is the orignal trans and has the orignal torque converter and I told him I wanted to use it! He said,"I would not use it if I were you because all the medal shavings would be in the converter as well":(
My question is, is there anyway to flush out the converter to get out the medal shavings? :confused: Thanks in advance!

Hi!
Trans shops should know better, but ,anyway you can flush the cooler lines with parts cleaner, then blow it out with shop air. It should have been done with the rebuild...
Dale

Why was the Trans rebuilt? Was it slipping or was there a failure of some kind? Did he show you the metal shavings? Were they large or were they kind of gray looking mud on the magnet? He might just be trying to sell you a convertor. Either way you sould keep it, you can send it off and had have it cleand and inspected. What kind of convertor did he suggest replacing it with? The stock is a D5 (it has it stamped all around it) and as far as I know you cant get them new anymore. I wouldn't go with a generic one if it does need replacing, buy something from one of the vendors on the board.
HTH

He did show me the (gray looking mud ) mental shavings. I had it rebuilt because it was slipping and had a bad seal leak(the car sat for afew years before I bought it) I had a D5 GN converter on hand and that is what he told me to use. But like i said I wanted to use the orignal one. Thanks for the replies.

Joe

The converter "can": be re-used if its cut open and cleaned out. Assumming the lockup clutch is good, if not its rebuildable by a converter rebuilder.

You should never buy a used converter without specific knowledge where it came from, and it was on a running transmission.

Think of it like a needle. Careful who used it before you got it. And the previous patient(old trans) had issues, the infection will pass to the new one.

New tranny.. use new converter. Or be sure the tranny failure didnt have metal floating in it. Example, I just snapped the input shaft on mine.. no metal was in the pan.. I will reuse the converter no prob.

rebuilds

Hi Razor,
Well put! CYA is the name of the game, unless one enjoys pulling the trans....
Dale

Back