T-Type Riveara motors work in a T-type Regal?

v8skantkeepup

A friend of mine has offered to give me a backyard ornament. It is a early-mid 80's Buick Riveara T-type. The car has been sitting for a couple years cuz' his sister kay-boshed the drivers side one day... Anyhow, at first I had no interest in the car, but now I am having second thaughts (I have never been into the Rivs). I am not sure what year the car is,yet, but I know it has the exact same T-type stearing wheel as my 85 T-type Regal. It also has "TURBOCHARGED 6" emblems on the side. I am not sure what size engine is in it, carburated, or FI, either. It is the squarer body style, though. I will find out what year and what engine it has Friday, and add a post then.
Here is my question:
If the car has a carbed 3.8 Turbo, is the motor worth anything? What about the turbo? Are they worth anything?
Did they put FI 3.8 turbos in the Rivs?
If Buick did put FI 3.8 turbos in Rivs, and this car has such, can the motor be used in a Turbo Regal?
I know the engine is good. That is the only reason he kept the car. I would take and part it out unless its a big waste of my time.
Can anyone help me on this decision?

84-85 Riviera T Type

Hi,
These Rivs are VERY rare. Buick built about 1100 in 84 and 1069 in 85, making them one of the rarest of all Rivieras. I would be all for fixing it up and putting it back on the road, but to each their own. I just got one a few weeks ago that could use an engine, so I am getting very familiar with the 85's. All the T Types were injected turboed 3.8, and many engine parts are shared with the GN's. If you do decide to part it, let me know, I could alway use some parts! Thanks and good luck whatever you decide to do! Tim:)

The car was wrecked pretty bad. The entire drivers side is wiped out. It would be a costly project to try to put it back on the road (and would probobly cost me a divorce, also).
I am going to check the year and engine type tomorrow, and I'll probobly grab the VIN while I'm there to verify this is a part-able car. My friend offered it to me to pay for a $500 "favor" I did for him a while back. He assured me the drivetrain was good, though. He knows I have a T Regal but didn't know if the motor would work in my car. If it will, I may even keep if for a spare, depending what it would bring($). If I can't at least make the $500 he owes me parting it, I will not take it.
I'll add a post tomorrow with the info I find.
But I still don't know whether to take it or not, even if it is a FI turbo.................:confused:

The car is a 1985 Riveara T-type. It has a FI 3.8 Turbo motor. the VIN. is 1g4ey5799fe421075. The mileage on the odo says 08231 (probobly 108,231, maybe 208,231, unsure.)
I am going to hear it run sometime next week. I have made arrangements to borrow a garage for 1 week. I am going to pull the motor and it is going up for sale.
Any takers?

Sounds good! Let me know how it runs and sounds, and compression readings would be good, too. When you pull the engine, be aware that the turbo plumbing and exhaust pipes can be a real bear on that engine! You would think that with all the room available underhood on that vintage Riv, they could have made it more serviceable! Thanks, Tim

Originally posted by v8skantkeepup
The car is a 1985 Riveara T-type. It has a FI 3.8 Turbo motor. the VIN. is 1g4ey5799fe421075. The mileage on the odo says 08231 (probobly 108,231, maybe 208,231, unsure.)
I am going to hear it run sometime next week. I have made arrangements to borrow a garage for 1 week. I am going to pull the motor and it is going up for sale.
Any takers?

Hi, just wondering what the fate of this car was/is, let us know, thanks!

After plenty of bloody knuckles, and a few days of freezing temps in a garage without any heat, me and a friend finally got the engine & trans out. The trans had a crack in it, so I threw it back in the trunk. The motor/turbo ran and sounded well and had decent compression also. I took a few other parts off the car, but I had limited amt of time, cuz' I had to "borrow" the garage that I used. I only had a week, and between work, wifey, wrenches and sleep, it was a full one!!
The engine is identicle to the motor in my 85' T Regal (72,000 mi.) and I haven't posted any further info, cuz I want to keep the motor for a spare. I am even pondering modding it and replacing my origional, unmolested motor in my T. As I said before, the car was to repay a "favor" I did for the guy I got the car from, and the motor is worth more to me to keep, than it is to sell:( ...
Sorry guys!
But if there is a part anyone may need off this car, it is now sitting at a local salvage yard, here in N.E.Ohio. I am the kind of guy that appreciates a Buick fan, and am willing to grab anything if its still there/good, just to help someone else keep another Buick alive!!:) (For the cost of what I can buy and send it.)
Just let me know!!
John pebbles590@yahoo.com

T Type Riv Motor

The only difference that I can see between the Regal and Riv blocks is that the Riv block has a oil drain back in the rear of the block that the Regal blocks don't have. Should be an easy task to plug it up. There may be other differences with the accessories, but nothing that couldn't be swapped out that I can see. Take Care, Tim

Originally posted by v8skantkeepup

But if there is a part anyone may need off this car, it is now sitting at a local salvage yard, here in N.E.Ohio. I am the kind of guy that appreciates a Buick fan, and am willing to grab anything if its still there/good, just to help someone else keep another Buick alive!!:) (For the cost of what I can buy and send it.)
Just let me know!!
John pebbles590@yahoo.com

Where at in northest Ohio? I am in Cleveland area, actually only looking for a few parts, mostly the driver side header if in decent condition, the headers on the Riviera turbo engine are exclusive to the Riv and don't work in the Regal chassis. To bad I didn' see this post a few weeks back, while I need just a few parts, the T-type Riviera exclusive parts couls have made you some money on ebay. bought a few parts from a guy that parted out an 85 T-Riv near Columbus Ohio, and watching his auctions, he was selling almost everything that could be unbolted and easily made several thousand on all the misc stuff, and this did not include the motor, which was a Jasper rebuild, and is still for sale (not much interest there it looks), anyway, things like the hydroboost brake unit alone went for over $100, T-Riv aluminum wheels around $700 set, TURBOCHARGED6 dash bezel over $140, on and on and on!

Anyway! if you want to part with the driver side header let me know, the passenger side and crossover will sell on ebay, did you scrap the axle shaft ( about 20" long with bracket/bearing attached) that slid into differential (went under the oil pan)? Motor parts that are T-Riv only also include 20 bolt oil pan, turbo U pipe (turbo to intake, interested in that), turbo exhaust elbow, misc. brackets that mount turbo, cam may also be, most I have been told were same as older carbeurated turbo 3.8's, pastic injector cover, that should be it. You could have made some money there:eek: , anyway let me know, thanks!