You can type here any text you want

T56 swap into a GN

• Thread starter Thread starter alkyholic
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
A

alkyholic

can this be done. i just want to know what i would be looking at replacing or customizing if i wanted to do this. thanks alot

andrew

<yawn>

One sure fire way is to use the aftermarket T56, a Lakewood (which has BOP and also Chevy pattern; you just need to pick whether you want hydraulic or mechanical)... The aftermarket T56 bolts to a T5 bellhousing (which the Lakewood is also drilled for) and is overall, a bit longer.

This is certainly not the only option.

I have done a hydraulic clutch T5, and I recently went to mechanical. No biggie. They just weren't behind Buicks, but all I'd have to change to do that would be the bellhousing.

Matthew

Actually with a T 56 conversion you have a lot more involved with the swap.
First is the T 56 has a partial bell housing as part of the case. To bolt it to the engine, there is a 6 inch wide spacer that mates it to the engine. You would have to fabricate or have one made to bolt to the Buick. The second issue is the flywheel. You need a Buick specific flywheel. The only standard Buick V6 flywheel I could find for under $500 was from Centerforce. It was something like $250. The problem is the T 56 is set up for a pull style clutch. The flywheel I mentioned is set up for the older style 10.4 and 11 inch diaphragm style clutches. You will have to fabricate a new flywheel for a T 56 application as I believe the Centerforce unit would be too thin.
Once you have the above 2 items out of the way, you just have to get the pedals and clutch master cylinder hooked up, cut the driveshaft to the correct length and modify the crossmember to fit. Unless you already have a T 56, you will be close to $2000.
Please also note, that with any flywheel you install, you will have to rebalance the engine. I know from experience as I had to rebalance the one in for the Buick V6 in my Corvair as the Centerforce flywheel in a neutral balance. Bolting it on as is will be the fast way to break a good rolled fillet crank and possibly wasting the whole engine.
The Lakewood bellhousing as someone else mentioned are only made for older style gearboxes such as Saginaw, Muncie and BW T-10 4speeds AND BW T-5. You could also do a Richmond gear 5 or 6 speed, but as you are probably already aware, those are close to $2000. My car has a McCleod scatter shield with the Chevy AND BOP bolt patterns with dual starter pockets. It came with an adapter ring and was drilled for the Ford Top Loader gearboxes. With this, you could use the Tremec 3550 5 speed that the Mustang guys run. Feel free to ask any questions.
My advice is if you have a GN is to just keep the TH2004r and save yourself a bunch of loot and grief since the car will definitely not be as fast as it was before. The main problem is you can get the same amount of torque multiplication in 1st gear as you can with the automatic and torque convertor.

Lee: Aftermarket T56.

The way it works is it bolts the aftermarket T56 to an adapter plate, which bolts directly to a T5 bellhousing.

It has a different input than a production LT1 T56, and it takes a standard 10.4" clutch which means the centreforce flywheel would work for him.

I know how Lakewoods are setup.

Richmond 6 speeds are around 2800$

How much is the after market T-56 with the Lakewood bellhousing? Its still probably way over $2000 and you would still have to get a clutch, master cylinder, slave cylinder, driveshaft and crossmember mods. Kinda makes you think twice about rowing manually.

Re: <yawn>

Originally posted by jmd
One sure fire way is to use the aftermarket T56, a Lakewood (which has BOP and also Chevy pattern; you just need to pick whether you want hydraulic or mechanical)... The aftermarket T56 bolts to a T5 bellhousing (which the Lakewood is also drilled for) and is overall, a bit longer.

This is certainly not the only option.

I have done a hydraulic clutch T5, and I recently went to mechanical. No biggie. They just weren't behind Buicks, but all I'd have to change to do that would be the bellhousing.

Matthew
Sorry to raise this from the dead :p but In affect your saying all you would need for a T56 swap behind the Turbo6 is an aftermarket T56 w\ a modified bellhousing? Please post your idea on this all. Regardless of the number of posts I read bashing the T56 swap idea, I fail to see the reason why I wouldnt want it. 90% of my races are from a roll on, which would put the car in a decent spooling range. Most supras dont make a decent amount of boost in APU (single turbo, or twin single) for a decent amount of time. But how many of you would like to line up against an APU supra on the freeway at 70mph? My geuss is maybe a handful of you guys running stage 2 motors. Some of the race gas mixers are killing bikes (yes we all know they hit a wall at 140mph, but its still incredible)
Now I realise this is going to turn into a flame war but please try to drop in some ideas on a T56 swap for the turbo V6.
-Nick :cool:

second that motion.....you have the best advice available, so you are on your own

What in the hell are you doing "racing at a roll on at 70 mph"...maybe you deserve the misery of a T56 transplant......

Sigh !!! :rolleyes:
The automatic will kick down ... but wait you want to drop a gear at 70 MPH...Hmmm
I know you are just curious, but read all the threads about the std tranny issue. You are comparing apples and pan head screws here. The TR motor is not a high rev motor like the Supras and other Japanese imports. It makes it's torque a lot lower in the RPM band, so reving the snot out of it and dumping the clutch ain't going to make any more power, just broken parts.
With all the money you would spend on the conversion you could have a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, higher stall torque converter, a good chip and be quicker.
Lee, myself and a few others speak from first hand experience, but then again who am I to step on your dreams :-)
Try it and tell us how you like it.

Paul

Hey Paul! I am still trying to get my hands (and some more $$) for a 4L60E transaxle from a C5 vette as I know that would solve a lot of my headaches and add the best part of owning a turbo Buick.; leaving the line with boost :D
I just wish my problem was as easily solved as some of the other hybrids out there.

Lee
My hat's off to you. My swap was a pain in the rear to do... but when I look at what you have had to go through I feel lucky :D
4L60E ! Hey anything is possible. Scottie found and IRS from a Vette and put it in his Z. I guess we just have to wait for the money fairy to leave us some $$$$ ;)

Paul

Back