You can type here any text you want

TA Broken Rocker Shaft

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Okay so you have checked it ? What kinda spring pressures are u running?

Same springs I've run on 100's of stock type setups ..... we are talking a very very mild setup that snapped both .. the 80K mile stockers never had an issue ..

hopefully they figured it out or it was a bad batch .. not sure of the containment on these but .. I know for sure there are many others that have seen this too..
live and learn .. like I mentioned before , just glad this was on my own car and not a customers

Was the hardness off? Are they electroplated for wear resistance so can be brittle from poorly controlled processing in China? I was considering the HD set for my new motor. Is there a non destructive way (hardness test) for me to check them for this prior to using them?

I'd just go with low mile or new stockers or if you can find the older HD ones .. I wouldn't risk it ... that or if your motor is serious go with T&D rollers

Must be another Chinese piece :) .. maybe had 600 miles on it .. second time I tried these .. never again
time to put the stockers back on as those had 80K and didn't crack :)

Don't think they were hardened to the right spec .. ridiculous

Looks like a combination of a stress riser like mentioned earlier due to non chamfering/deburring of the drilled holes and heat from to much friction or springs with to much pressure. If you are getting enough oil to the top end then the shaft is definitely suspect in the MFG. process.

I'd just go with low mile or new stockers or if you can find the older HD ones .. I wouldn't risk it ... that or if your motor is serious go with T&D rollers
Not serious. Fresh stock rebuild with 206/206 roller and Champion irons for mid 11 street car on Alky. I'll use stockers with supports (RJC or TA...?) unless I can find an older set of the HD's?
Thanks for the input.

Not serious. Fresh stock rebuild with 206/206 roller and Champion irons for mid 11 street car on Alky. I'll use stockers with supports (RJC or TA...?) unless I can find an older set of the HD's?
Thanks for the input.

stockers all day ... I ran them until mid 10's were par for the course .. then I opted for the HD's .. went back to stockers and dialed the car back a bit .. this year I will put some miles and runs on them as I don't expect issues .. keep you guys posted

I gotta ask...has anyone broken the TA HD's with RJC caps? Turbo89...why did you replace the shafts to begin with?

I gotta ask...has anyone broken the TA HD's with RJC caps? Turbo89...why did you replace the shafts to begin with?

80K miles on the original rockers and shafts ... the rockers had some wear .. ( this was a 10 second motor that got leaned on hard all its life )
So I decided that when I put fresh springs in that I would at the same time install a set of the HD shafts ..

I now know better than to trust some aftermarket junk and just go with the stock GM parts or reputable upgrades .. I replaced a few rockers and the plastic locks.. no issues since and am leaning on it harder than ever.
My next spring change I will just install T&D rollers on it and hopefully see some gains from that upgrade just from the ratio increase.

Sorry about your luck with the aftermarket ones, but I'm a little surprised you didn't spring for the HD's that a lot of people seem to have luck with for the extra $50 especially at 10 sec power. No excuse for getting a sub par OEM replacement part though. Hopefully the stockers last for you.

Sorry about your luck with the aftermarket ones, but I'm a little surprised you didn't spring for the HD's that a lot of people seem to have luck with for the extra $50 especially at 10 sec power. No excuse for getting a sub par OEM replacement part though. Hopefully the stockers last for you.

Shouldn't need the HD ones ... its a 5200 rpm motor that has very little done , just had a very hard life .. the stockers lived under 10 second power for a long time.. just saw some slight wear so figured that it was time .. im lucky how things turned out .. this could have been very bad , especially if it was a customers car

imagine if this let go on a 10K motor and dropped valves and ruined GN1's .. all because someone didn't QC something . its bullshit
it

Back