You can type here any text you want

Take Engine Out Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

I read somehwere (one of the boards) you can remove the hodd struts and open the hood basicly 90 degrees to be able to remove the engine ... is this true? I looked quickly at the hood hinges and looks to me that it wont work, anyone tried?

4 bolts and the hood is off. I know you can overextend it a little, but I never tried a full 90.

How would you hold it there?

Bo

This isn't TTA specific, but I take the hood off anything before I pull the motor. I tried the '90 thing once, and was rewarded by the hood falling back into the roof (denting both).

Just my 2 cents...:cool:

Thanks guys, I was wondering as I read somewhere you could do it with just removing the hood struts but I could not see how this would work ... anyway I would also remove the complete hood to be on the safe side.

I pulled mine out that way. No problem. I learned it from Mike S. when he pulled his out.

Saves from having to realign hood(possibly chipping it). That is a big bonus. But I wouldnt pull the motor by myself and wrestle the hood. If you have someone hold the hood up.. motor comes out no problem.

HTH

Thanks Razor, I'll give that a go ... might be a good job for my wife holding the hood :-)

I do that with my Regal, but don't hold the hood. Tie a rope to the latch catch on the hood and tie it off somewhere. I usually tie it to the garage door track. Or since I have a wagon, I've just run the rope to the roof rack. Tie it good and it can stay there until you put the motor back in. No need to get help pulling the hood, or worse, trying to do it yourself.

I do that with my Regal, but don't hold the hood. Tie a rope to the latch catch on the hood and tie it off somewhere. I usually tie it to the garage door track. Or since I have a wagon, I've just run the rope to the roof rack. Tie it good and it can stay there until you put the motor back in. No need to get help pulling the hood, or worse, trying to do it yourself.

Brian

Jan, if you are using a regular cherry picker, have fun as it won't be long enough to reach the engine from the front. I have had to pull a front tire and go in from the side. With the long front end and the V6 having a center of balance further back, going in from the fron isn't generally an option.

Back