You can type here any text you want

Talkin' off-topic, remember the Bricklin?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TDS-84

Missing the BOOST!!!!
Hey all,

Was out with a friend this past Saturday, and he was checking out a '74 Bricklin. Ended up buying the car. Anyone here know anything about these, they were pretty low production, and an interesting car, design-wise. The one he ended up getting was the 360 AMC-powered. Will require a bit o' work to get it road worthy, but not too bad. Lots of basic clean-up will make a big difference.

Curoius if anyone has any knowledge of/experience with these things?

In my home town of Swift Current, Saskatchewan, one of my friends was doing some summer work in the later 80's, painting a guy's house. I stopped to see him while he was working, and he led me to the open garage door. Inside, with tarps over them, junk piled a couple of feet high on top, were two, brand new, almost no miles Bricklins. WEEEERD. Why would you buy two of them, park them, then abuse them like that? I don't get it.

Didn't some of them have a 351 Windsor? I think they were built in New Brunswick.

I think this is a good web site:

http://www.bricklin.org

Malcom Bricklen.. Another dude with too much time on his hands.

If I am correct they have Gull wing doors like the DMC & the 56 Benze?

Ahhh, Malcom Bricklin's stillborn baby...........

E-mail me for articles on the Bricklin.

There was a dealer for them across the street from the highschool I went to. Not may sold. If I remember correctly it was touted as a safe car with a full roll cage built into it.

yup, they came with either the 351W of the 360, depending on availability I guess. Were thinking that it might be a decent performer with that much engine, and being all fiberglass body. But it weighs in at 39XX lbs., so I dunno yet.

have the doors working off an external compressor so far. Seems they would be almost impossible to open from in the car if they aren't power assisted in some manner. Climbing in, the car fits ya like a glove, though.

IMO, the green is pretty obnoxious, though, heh heh!
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by littlesixsteve
Malcom Bricklen.. Another dude with too much time on his hands.
The same guy who gave us the Yugo!:eek:

You couldn't miss a Bricklin if you saw one. The one I remember seeing at local car shows was bright Orange. That might have been the reasoning behind the entire safety thing, to be visible. I believe that one was AMC-powered as well.

There was a customization of a bricklin on either speed or spike tv. They ripped it apart and redone the whole thing.

pull the slug out and put a buick6 in it eh

bricklin's were awesome cars, post pix's of his car i would love to have one to restore and mod, if you watch the speed channel on ccr ( cut-chop-and re-build ) they're having one restore'd from the frame up, early this morning was one of the episode's. post pic's if ya can.

I think Bricklins were build on an AMC chassis which why the 360 for the first year. I have heard conflicting information that it was either a '73/74 Javelin or a Hornet.

The second year cars were ford 351 powered.

All were 2bbls, but minor mods can easily double or triple the HP of both these motors.

On the show they said the delorean was a newer bricklin design. The guy said delorean did not design that car. I always thought delorean designed his car.

On the show they said the delorean was a newer bricklin design. The guy said delorean did not design that car. I always thought delorean designed his car.

Giorgetto Giugiaro designed the Delorean body.

He also did the Hyundai Excel and Volkswagen Rabbit.

I almost bought one back in the late 90's. We had one on the lemon lot at work. What a screwed up car. It was AMC powered with a TorquFlite IIRC. If it wasn't for the mono leaf rear suspension I would have been racing one in Solo2. Here's a couple of links I found interesting. Check out the Cut,Chop Rebuild story.
Bricklin SV-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bricklin International Owners Club Homepage

You know it was called the Safety Vehicle. SV1. Okay GullWing experts. If I roll the car over on its roof how the heck do I get out?

Bricklin didn't export Yugos. He had a sweetheart deal with the Yugoslav government to export them. Not even a CEO or COO of the company. Now he was responsable for bringing Subaru to North America. So I guess this makes him the Grandfather of the WRX? Weird. Crazy stupid weird.:confused:

Now he was responsable for bringing Subaru to North America. So I guess this makes him the Grandfather of the WRX? Weird. Crazy stupid weird.:confused:

The dealer across from my hs that sold them was a Fiat and Subaru dealer...

The dealer across from my hs that sold them was a Fiat and Subaru dealer...

I didn't do a google but I think Bricklin also had his fingers in on the Bertones. After Fiat pulled out of America there was a turbo'd 124 and I think the same turbo 2 liter in a X1/9. I used to own a 71 850 Spider and was wrapped up into Fiats for awhile. My older brother also had a 850 and later a X1/9 so we thought it was neat when these turbo Fiats hit the showroom. To bad they were going for more than what a Corvette sold for. I can remember the day my dealership picked up a Subaru franchise. The model Bricklin orginally brought to the states was the 360. A rear engined air cooled 2 cylinder. Just a tad uglier than the Honda 600. Makes a Smart look huge by comparison.

I remember the X1/9, they were tiny. The Subaru dealer had the next gen maybe in the early 80s (?). They had white wagon wheels. They had Brats too. Funky rear facing seats in the back with pistol grips. Didn't the Subaru's have a light that was behind the center emblem? A door swung up to reveal the light I think. I thought they were cool with 4wd, I almost bought one but got a Honda Civic S instead.

I had a X 1/9 bought used well actually I traded a nice Suzuki GS1100E for it in 1983. Worst car I ever owned bar none!!! :mad: Blew the motor after 2 months. It was a handler though.... Terrible trade I made as I was a sucker for that pretty new paint. :frown:

Back