You can type here any text you want

tapping noise

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

zacavelli78

87 gn .i have a tapping noise under valve cover so i pulled apart and all lifters cannot be depressed except 1 drivers side front lifter.should they be hard to depress or mushy .the noise sounds similiar to loose rocker arm.any help

Engine running - use a vac hose or scope to listen around the cam sensor area including the cap itself.

Then move on to the valvetrain.

Hmmm, mine sounded kinda like your describing when i was not getting oil up to the top of my heads. I would take the valve cover off and see if oil is getting up there.

The one that you are pushing down is collapsed, you could start it up just long enough to build oil pressure and pump the lifters up, then shut it off, pull the valve cover off and push on it again,it should hold pressure like the rest of the lifters. But if the car has been sitting around awhile they will start to bleed off.

the lifter never pumps up so i guess i need a lifter or should i buy whole set?should it fell hard when its brand new before it has oil in it?

since your there i would buy a whole set, and yes they will be soft new.

they are cheap.

and they will make a hell of a racket at first unless you prime the motor before start up. Use moly lube when installing and then change your oil after a couple of heat cycles. (moly on the camshaft to lifter mating surface - liberally)

Back