TC Locking up at very low speeds

turboclam

Is there a way to test the lock-up thingy. I have tried unplugging the TCC plug at the case but same results. Car feels like I am in a 5 speed in 5th going 15 mph. Is it possibly stuck in lock up? 83 T-Type converted to an 86-87. BFR tranny.

Have you checked the adjustment of the TV cable? Sounds like the trans is shifting way to early. The trans has to be in at least third gear before the converter can be locked up, at least electricly. If the solenoid goes bad the converter will usually lock up all the time causing the engine to stall when put in gear, when coming to a stop.

I got similar problem with my car doing this(83' T-type)...but it is also jerking with the convertor always unlocking and locking while cruising. Have replaced TCC solenoid and 4th gear pressure switch and still doing same thing.:confused:

My car will lock the torque converter after a good freeway drive and not unlock until I press hard on the brakes or stop and restart the engine. The brake switch on the brake pedal is supposed to send a signal to the ECM then from the ECM to the TCC to unlock the Converter during braking. Brain storm....I wonder if a sticky brake switch could cause the problem....Hmmmm. It is a good place to start troubleshooting.
More than likely the TCC but it is worth a look.