Tec3 ????

OddfireV6

Does anyone have any experience with the TEC3? After having to trouble shoot wiring issues in the harness they provided we've finally got the laptop to link to the TEC3 but now we have a new problem. When we crank over the motor the TEC3 does one of 2 things, it either goes into NO CONNECTION MODE or simply freezes up and ceases giving you realtime data. This is big problem, how else are you supposed to synch the cam and crank signals? I know its not a voltage issue to the unit as we have the battery charger hooked up and are getting 13+ volts, any idea what could cause the system to freeze up? Thanks!!!

Well it's hard to say what is happening with it, but it does sound like you might need to see what the real voltage is right across the supply and ground terminals of the ecu during cranking. Might be seeing less than enough there when cranking...

TurboTR

Yes, the reason I say that is the cranking load is very high in general. And depending on where the battery is mounted (trunk mount kit with lonnggg cabling?), where the power and ground is taken for the ecu, etc, it is conceivable that it could be dropping out. Symptoms kinda point to it at least, like you seem to be suspecting...

TurboTR

I had a call in to Nick at Electromotive and he basically said the same thing you did except he specifically wanted to know about the 12v switched source...sure enough I just tested it and the voltage upon cranking is going to zero...good call!! I temporarily hooked up another hot wire and the computer didn't drop off, however, the voltage even here dropped to 9v which isn't really enough...I know from numerous articles that puters like at least 10v so I'm going to have to figure something out...thinking about buying one of those mini batteries and dedicate it solely to the TEC3...whattya think?? Thanks again I really appreciate it!!!