You can type here any text you want

Tech check question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoneguy

Cometic HG stress tester
I have never raced eighth mile before. What are the rules for roll bars/cages at an eighth mile track?

Thanks
Bryan

I was thinking the same thing, although I'm more interested in what kind of helmet requirement there might be since I'm going to only be running 8.0 or slower, more likely I'll be tuned down to 8.49

I was thinking the same thing, although I'm more interested in what kind of helmet requirement there might be since I'm going to only be running 8.0 or slower, more likely I'll be tuned down to 8.49
Right from the IHRA (Pure Stock) rule book. VERY close to TSR! ;)

Helmets- SN-95 or Newer or SFI 31.IA, 31.2A, 41.2A mandatory.

Scot W.

Right from the IHRA (Pure Stock) rule book. VERY close to TSR! ;)

Helmets- SN-95 or Newer or SFI 31.IA, 31.2A, 41.2A mandatory.

Scot W.

Even for 8.49?? Great, that leaves me out in the cold then. :mad:

Probably. Budgets being what they are and all. My helmet dates back to the mid 90's so even though it's a good Snell, it wont pass those specs.
Being unemployed since Feb doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room in the budget.

It would be nice if they'd look the other way on mine.

My gut feeling is if you are in a slower car and have a helmet, I kinda doubt they'll actually check the rating.

If they do, then borrow one from a buddy.

Probably. Budgets being what they are and all. My helmet dates back to the mid 90's so even though it's a good Snell, it wont pass those specs.

Dave after looking at the rules more in depth it appears that IHRA is MORE flexable than NHRA and NHRA requires a helmet 13.99 in the 1/4 or faster. But all in all it ultimetly depends on the track and event.

Example: People didn't go to Pinks in bristol because of the tech rules, I took mine anyway and they never even looked at ANYTHING! at let me right thru. so it just depends on the track and the event..

If I were to guess, You will be fine! If not I have a helmet for you and so does Eric. You didn't think you were going to get out of it that easy did you? ;)

SW.

I've never really had my helmet looked at except when I ran in Las Vegas. So I'm hoping a slow poke like mine wont be too nitpicky on the helmet thing.

Dave--Are you concerned about the track tech for the March event? I go to that track a lot for test and tune and I have NEVER been through a tech session. I don't think they are concerned with a roll bar unless you are running 7.0 or quicker. They have never questioned me when I run 6.9s and I don't have a bar. I always wear a helmet.

Roll bar is required at 7.35 et in the 1/8th. The only time I've been hassled about not having a roll bar was the first year that nhra changed from 7.5 to 7.35, which I believe was 2005. That night was the tracks regular bracket race night and I was in my Chevelle. I've never.........never been asked or told to slow my Buick down (best 1/8 et is 7.08). The last time my helmet was checked was probably back in the 90's, but I have updated my helmet a couple of years ago. Don't let the helmet stop you from going out and having some fun.......

Same here on the roll bar rule...I actually got lucky and no one was paying attention and made some 6.8 passes, but the 1st time I went to the track and someone was paying attention I went some 7.0's and then right after my 1st 6.9 of the night they came over to me right before my last pass and said I could make my run but not to come back anymore until I got a roll bar.

Heres the thing, I have already let the track know that there will be several show quality cars that may be running quicker than 6.99 and could they relax a little on the rules and I was assured that wouldnt be an issue. Now that doesnt mean that if you are low 6's then they wont say anything to you. No promisies there but use common sense on how fast your car may be. Everyone "needs" to have a helmet regardless of ET. I will tell you that 7.99 or quicker you need to have helmet. They will not check it other than to see that you have one on your head.

You can borrow my helmet if that is all that is stopping you. I can sell it to you cheap as well. It has only been worn 1 time. I will be needing a full face helmet now.

I may have to worry about the cage though. My car should run mid to high 9's in the quarter with the new engine, where does that put me in the eighth?

Bryan

You can borrow my helmet if that is all that is stopping you. I can sell it to you cheap as well. It has only been worn 1 time. I will be needing a full face helmet now.

I may have to worry about the cage though. My car should run mid to high 9's in the quarter with the new engine, where does that put me in the eighth?

Bryan

That would be in the 6.15-6.30 range. Yes, if you don't have a cage I would highly recommend one at that range. Safety is something noone should take lightly.

Sounds like my helmet should get me by. And I certainly aren't going to be running quick enough to worry about a bar or cage. I ripped that out last year to go easier on the car.

That would be in the 6.15-6.30 range. Yes, if you don't have a cage I would highly recommend one at that range. Safety is something noone should take lightly.

I have already decided to get the cage , just don't know if it will be done in time. The car is going in for paint in a couple of weeks, down to bare metal,all glass out of car, etc. May be a couple of months before it is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back