You can type here any text you want

tensioner question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WS6

Sock Monkey racing
Is there any play at all with a belt tensioner pulley?

Thanks

Don't understand the questions either:confused:

I do have a good used one for sale in the for sale section. $55 shipped in the lower 48, has a new bearing on the pulley.

Thanks,

idler tension

Not much slop at all if that's what you mean. the spring pressure in the idler
keeps the belt quite tight.

Yeah, that was kind of a vague question, sorry.

But to the point, should the pulley and it's bearing have any amount of play? as in be able to rock the pulley on it's shaft.
I'm not really sure if the tensioner spring is bad or not but I discovered it has been hitting the A/C compressor and has cut a groove and ground off some of the lip of the pulley.

The pulley rocks a little bit like the bearing is bad, but I don't know what's acceptable.

The pulley should not have any play. Sounds like you need a new pulley.

Get yourself a socket and see if the bolt is backing out of the pulley or is the tensioner it's self?

Based on the helpful replies it seems at best I have a bad pulley and bearing. At worst I have a bad tensioner too. So...how is the tensioner itself checked?

Tensioner is attached to motor with 2 bolts. You could try to tighten the bolt for the pulley (that holds pulley to the tensioner) before you tear it out. Might as well for the 10 secs it takes. Usually the bearings go before the rest does.

Can you replace the bearing only??? My tensioner is fine, the spring is nice and tight but I think the bearing in the pulley itself are going bad. I starting to hear a squeal.

I think his problem is a belt that is too long. That will cause the tensioner pulley to hit the AC compressor pulley. A simple bearing change may also be in order, while you ar at it. The bearing is available at a bearing supply shop for a few bucks. It is also the same bearing as the rear alternator bearing. NAPA should also carry it. Good luck at Autozone, Scmucks, Checker, Pep boys........:p

Best belt is from a GM dealer. The aftermarket belts, (Goodyear, Gates, ect.) are either 1/4" shorter or 1/4" longer. They will work, but they are not perfect. If your heads and/or block have been milled, it will also bring the accessories closer to the crank centerline, and if you have the belt that it the longer one, it maybe causing the tensioner pulley to hit the AC pulley.
Food for thought.

Can you replace the bearing only??? My tensioner is fine, the spring is nice and tight but I think the bearing in the pulley itself are going bad. I starting to hear a squeal.

Yes. Read the above post for info. You just tap the old bearing out, and tap a new one in. Takes about 20 minutes from the time you open the hood. (if you are slow.;) )

Great!

I'll have to find a NAPA dealer close to me.

I've got another question. If the belt is too long, can the tensioner pulley rub against the intercooler mount bar? The one the runs up and bolts up with one of the tensioner bolts.

Thanks!

Great!

I'll have to find a NAPA dealer close to me.

I've got another question. If the belt is too long, can the tensioner pulley rub against the intercooler mount bar? The one the runs up and bolts up with one of the tensioner bolts.

Thanks!

I've never seen that before in 20 years, but........maybe. Remove the tensioner, and see if there is an issue with it.

tensioner

you can still order belt tensioners from online auto parts store. I just ordered one for 79 dollars.

I believe Gates makes them #38374.

Almost identical to factory some minor differences.

Got one on my car but it wasn't the problem of course. :p

Broken power steering bolt, and one loose one. :mad:

NAPA has the bearings but you may need a good salesman to find them, number should be in the search feature I hope, basically a letter in front of the bearing number from what I remember. Might be easiest to search for the rear alternator bearing if not listed under tensioner parts.

BeltTensionersStockandGatesBackView.jpg

BeltTensionersStockandGatesSideView.jpg

BeltTensionersStockandGatesAltSideV.jpg

Napa has the 25060637 belt too, approx. .3" shorter than stock.

Actually I believe it's the Front alternator bearing it's the same as.

The larger one, the rear one is tiny from what I remember.

Back