Testing new car...need advice on tune

Phoenix_400

Okay so I took Ann Synder's (new member) car out for a test drive this morning. Now keep in mind I'm new to the TRs myself and I'm still figuring out the scanmaster. Normal driving everything looks good. From a roll, getting into the boost there is no knock.

Now, I took the car out to try a couple of launches. I'm used to my old v8, so my technique probably sucks. I foot-braked up to 18-2100rpms. The car would not build boost before it started creeping forward. Let off the brake, rolled hard onto the throttle-17psi, minimal tire spin. Car shifts good and hard, revs out well. Started seeing retard between 3.5-5. The last launch it hit 11.5 on the retard for a couple of seconds and 02 was around 886 if I remember properly, around 2nd-3rd gear. That doesn't seem right to me. I lifted as soon as saw this, but we did not hear any audible knock.

I came back and printed out a copy of the scanmaster manual. I'll be taking the car back out as soon as I get the chance and actually remember to check the recall before shutting the car down.

For a list of mods to the car, check Ann's profile. As I said, this only happens from a run out of the hole. From a roll, everything seems gravy with no knock. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

the retard means you are getting knock. Probably just bad gas or too much boost for the octane you're running. 886 O2 is pretty rich, so it's getting plenty of fuel, I'd just get higher octane fuel or not run boost up to 17#'s, maybe 15 or so. 11.5 is way too much knock retard. I'd get a knock gauge if I were you, sounds like you're getting a little.

Well, nice to know I wasn't too far off on my thoughts. I would prefer to see the car at 15lbs. I think one of our main problems is knowing exactly what settings are on the chip. Is it strange that this was only happening from a stop and doesn't seem to be misbehaving when going from a roll?

I actually meant to post this in the general tech section, not sure how it got here. Guess I need to pay more attention to closer attention to which forum I'm in when I post.:rolleyes:

Don't rule out false knock here either. With everything fine from a roll. You did mention that it occured on the 2-3 shift as well. Alot of things can rattle around when it sees abrubt tourqe like a shift or launch. My guess this is the case with O2's in that range. 17lbs is possible to run in a good state of tune with no knock providing the timing is within reason.

Rich knock sounds like a likely culprit. Are all the sensors and settings showing normal (FP, MAF, etc)?