The best in-tank fuel pump?

Racin Jason 87 GN- do you have any instructions how to wire up the second pump-I have a double pumper and can't find any paperwork on the installation?

Some pretty obvious misses here guys, Ractronix has the hookup on pumps and is a sponsor of the site, Red sells the Walbro stuff, no magic, and yes Edelbrock and others just repackage the Walbro, I know I bought one for my 92 BBC dually. also put a Ractronix kit in my 96 Impala, runs great, plug and play.
My ATR double pumper just died after almost 15 years, one pump quit, checked all of the electronics and they were fine, sucked out the tank and found the problem.
I have a 340 with hotwire kit on reserve for my sons 86 GN, and am working with the techs at Ractronix for the best solution to my needs, want to stay with a double pumper, maybe twin 340's, we will see.
There should be no issues with a plug and play system, don't understand the issues I see reported here, sounds like another problem somewhere else.
No matter your choice, support a vendor who supports this site, get off the wallet, you get what you pay for, which could include a Chinese knockoff Walbro.....

Denso 280

The Denso 280 is the only way to go given present state of affairs.The 280 is an OE part from the Supra twin turbo and it will support 60#'s on 13v at 70 psi.The Walbro is struggling to support 60# (my fuel pressure gage shakes with the walbro-its rock steady with the 280) at 15v and 70 psi.At 15 v the denso will get close to 80#.The denso will support a mid 10 sec car on one pump.I would like to know how Red "blueprints" a fuel pump??..Does "blueprinting" mean shimming the pop off valve or grouping and sizing pumps based on the customers need? The actual denso pump has more rotational velocity due to size.Racetronix has a very professional harness to migrate the denso pump into the stock sender.If you are running 60# injectors you don't want to be on the edge of your fuel pumps capabilty or you could be saying bye-bye engine.The denso does pull more current (about 15 amps at 15v) but is a larger pump.All these facts are well documented and supported.I would prefer to buy an American product from an American company but I'm not willing to sacrifice an engine to make a patriotic purchase.

Jap parts in my Buick ? I shudder to think about having to pull a sneak attack on my garage late at night just to carry it in.

What is the cost to swap over to rice fuel instead of race fuel ?

Is the Denso an intank ?

I know a twin pump will do the trick without the overdriving amps.

Not surprised to hear about the blueprinting technique....

densopump.com was running a deal on the supra pumps.

$149 delivered!

You can't beat that even with the "hassel" of tweaking the stock sending unit to fit!

Jap parts in my Buick ? I shudder to think about having to pull a sneak attack on my garage late at night just to carry it in.

What is the cost to swap over to rice fuel instead of race fuel ?

Banzai !!

Is the Denso an intank ?

Yes

I know a twin pump will do the trick without the overdriving amps.

Each W340/0169 pump will draw about 11 amps at 80 psi, so when they are both on you will have to supply about 22 amps max

Racetronix GSS340M pumps are $97.50 ea, harness is $283.00 for base unit
I'm double pumping my 87 again, could not make myself do the install with chopsticks. :cool:

fuel pumps

I BOUGHT REDS DOUBLE PUMPER ABOUT 8 YEARS AGO GREAT PIECE THE HOBB SWITCH WENT BAD ABOUT 2 YEARS LATER I WIRED IN A SHIFT LITE TO TELL ME IF THE SECOND PUMP IS COMING ON I USE A 10PSI OIL PRESSURE SWITCH WORKS GREAT!!! AS FAR AS THE PUMPS I JUST REPLACED MINE LAST YEAR MAIN PUMP WOULD NOT HOLD REST PRESSURE TOOK NO CHANCES WALBOROS ARE WORKING GREAT!! DONT RUN TANK: LOW THESE PUMPS DO NOT LIKE TO SUCK AIR:eek:

I like the shift lite idea to show the pump working, I went with the 4 lb hobbs switch just so the second pump would get some exercise on a regular basis, does Reds use 340's ? My ATR was first Gen for them, both pumps on all the time.:eek:

I just installed a Walbro from Racetronix today and other then having to re-wire violet and red (I didn't read the instructions very carefully :(, the install was a breeze and the product started working 100% as designed.
I pray this pump will last me quite some time though....not interested in doing this procedure again.

I'm working on a custom outlet fitting for the Bosch 044 that will allow us to use it in the tank and fit without hassle (a lot shorter and 5/16 ID). I might have it ready around early Sept when my CNC buddy gets the stainless stock bars in.

When I get this fitting done, this will be the no questions asked winner for us. And for $180, the pump is a beast dollar per dollar.

When I get this fitting done, this will be the no questions asked winner for us. And for $180, the pump is a beast dollar per dollar.

Big question is will it hold up to the excess pressures from high boost? That's what I'm told why Walbros fail.

It came in a bunch of Porsche's, Imports run them in access of 80psi a lot and because it's a pain to fit in our tanks we don't have much of a history with it.

Last year i replaced my stock fuel pump with a walbro 340 and a hot wire.yesterday while running with the hood up i watched the fuel pressure drop off on the gauge below 10psi .i shut the car off,restarted about 1/2 hour later fuel pressure seemed fine untill about 5 to 10 minutes run time,then drops off again.fuel filter is new and pump does not sound good running in tank.i bought the pump and hot wire from full throttle speed.who sells the best in tank pump that lasts longer?
Probably just have a bad pump, I have excellent luck with Red Armstrong's XP pump not to take anything away from full throttle as they are also a good company to deal with. I also wonder if your problem isn't with the installation.The hose that joins the F/P to the sending unit pipe if it isn't properly secured can leak fuel pressure internally within the tank. Also you cannot use regular fuel hose it must be the high pressure type, To be safe the hose & connections should be rated to with stand 90 PSI.

I just installed a Walbro from Racetronix today and other then having to re-wire violet and red (I didn't read the instructions very carefully :(, the install was a breeze and the product started working 100% as designed.
I pray this pump will last me quite some time though....not interested in doing this procedure again.

Glad yours worked. My racetronix 340 pump was junk and they absolutely refused to stand behind their product. I bought a replacement from full throttle that works great. I avoid racetronix like the plague now.

I'm working on a custom outlet fitting for the Bosch 044 that will allow us to use it in the tank and fit without hassle (a lot shorter and 5/16 ID). I might have it ready around early Sept when my CNC buddy gets the stainless stock bars in.

Please let me know what is going on with your retro fit on this pump and will we be able to double it up. Will it be able to withstand e-85 ? How much amprage will it pull. Please keep me informed thanks .

Last year i replaced my stock fuel pump with a walbro 340 and a hot wire.yesterday while running with the hood up i watched the fuel pressure drop off on the gauge below 10psi .i shut the car off,restarted about 1/2 hour later fuel pressure seemed fine untill about 5 to 10 minutes run time,then drops off again.fuel filter is new and pump does not sound good running in tank.i bought the pump and hot wire from full throttle speed.who sells the best in tank pump that lasts longer?
You might want to look at your return line! That symtom is very similar to a kinked return line..ask me how I know! lol