the corvette guys are talking about us

Anybody remember when Tony Defeo of Cars Illustrated ran 12.8's with a factory stock GNx? Those guys knew how to drive!
:cool:

The Buick is stab and steer - let's not give the guy too much credit. It ain't like launching, say, a Cobra - with a peaky DOHC, candy clutch, candy IRS, etc. - is it?

Yes, GNs are luxoboats. But who cares how they handle? If you want handling buy something, ANYTHING else. In any race involving even the slightest bit of straight road, does it really matter - the enemy is sucking your exhaust.

On the strip though, with that 4 link and long wheel base and good weight transfer, GNs run 1.6's all day.

Most 'vette guys are weenies. They don't even attend their own events. The typical 'vette owner is a 50-ish, paunchy guy with a bad rug, who cuts work on nice days to cruise high schools, looking for pimply, 13 year olds.

:D

Not to mention alot of those 14.2 magazine ET's were done by guys who did not know how to launch a turbo car, and had 0 experience doing it.

I love Vettes, grew up with them 'cause my dad is a Vette fanatic, but the dude that has no respect for GNs complains about them not handeling but how many races does he get into that are not straight line races? If he's into mountain carving no biggie but I bet most of his races have been in a straight line. With his attitude he deserves no respect, IMO. I can at least appreciate and not bad mouth other cars but he obviously sleeps alone with his car.

I bought my GN BECAUSE it was comfortable, plushy, quiet and powerful. I drove "race cars" every stinkin day for 20 years and I got tired of the noise and the ride. I wanted a "Caddy" with POWER and the GN fits the bill quite nicely.
I would rather have a Turbo Supra over a Vette anyway, maybe over my GN too:D

This was dragged up from 6 months ago on their board. These reactions are a little narcissistic. Give it a rest. :rolleyes: You already know TRs rule; too bad for them if they don't. Be proud.

Kevins... I remember that article by Tony Defeo it's the reason I bought the G.N. I wanted the fastest car I could afford and had to make a choice, Mustang, Camero, or Buick that article made the choice easy.
Carl Ciaffone

This was a really, really old post. I do disagree with rob93z07 as he really has no clue about what GN will do, and the performance potential of a stock GN. Or one with a $.25 mod like a bleeder valve. I'll take a GN any day, thanks...

I have a GN, and also a Z06, so I frequent both boards. There have been plenty of topics where the Vette guys give GNs big props.

Ignore that thread, as it is so old, you can't even respond to it...

Different strokes for different folks but you gotta love em both.
I would never slander either one.

Is it just me or is a GN/vette comparison apples and oranges in the first place? I own and have owned GN's and owned a vette (86 or 87, I forget) The vette has god torque, handles well BUT: they ride like crap, are difficult to enter/exit and have all the leaks, squeaks and rattles you could ask for (mine sure did). Anyway, the Buick was never intended to go head to head with the vette; it was intended to be a brutal powerplant in a civilized easy to live with package.

Originally posted by kh440
Is it just me or is a GN/vette comparison apples and oranges in the first place? I own and have owned GN's and owned a vette (86 or 87, I forget) The vette has god torque, handles well BUT: they ride like crap, are difficult to enter/exit and have all the leaks, squeaks and rattles you could ask for (mine sure did). Anyway, the Buick was never intended to go head to head with the vette; it was intended to be a brutal powerplant in a civilized easy to live with package.

Absolutely! Like comparing a Top Fuel F/C with an Indy car:rolleyes:

I still can't stand most ( I said "most") snobbish Vette owners. I love to hand them their a$$ every chance I get:D

in my eyes some of them guys are only a small step above ricers, last july 4th at a cruze night i got there alittle late and they would not let my car in (vette club sponsored car show but open to all cars) i watched about 4 diffrent vettes allowed in to the show right after they turned me around:mad: the funny thing was some of the ford guys were getting pissed and people were lifting up the caution tape and letting people drive over the curve on the back side of the lot. needless to say i got in anyway.:D

Originally posted by Scottie-GNZ
I certainly do not like the attitude, but since he is coming from a road-racing perspective, he is not innacurate in most of his statements. I know many with GN-colored glasses will flame me for saying that. On the othr hand, most "sports car" owners who get their asses handed to them on the strip usually whine about how much better their car handles and stops :D :D I think if both sides had a chance to live with the other car they would both appreciate each car's strong points.
Hence the desirability of the TTA ;). Handling of a Corvette with the acceleration of a GNx. What a combo! :)

Don't get our panties in a wad!

Many times these things are said just to invoke this type of response. Man, don't sweat it!!!!! Drew:)