California Cruisin'

corsair231

A perfect example of "talking out of both sides of your mouth".

On one hand he is trying to force everyone to go EV, then he goes and does something like this:

California Governor Gavin Newsom signed AB 436 into law, lifting restrictions on lowrider cars, allowing them to cruise the state’s streets without fear of local bans.

This decision was celebrated by lowrider communities and car clubs, who see it as a preservation of cultural heritage.

The lowrider and cruising culture, dating back to the 1940s, has been a symbol of California Latino culture, but faced bans due to associations with violence and crime.

California Assembly member David Alvarez said, “On behalf of the thousands of advocates who supported this culturally significant legislation, the low rider communities, and car clubs from all over California, I would like to thank the Governor for signing AB 436 into law.”

“The law will allow the historical legacies of cruising to continue for the current generation and many more,” he continued.

Adding, “Governor Newsom agrees that ‘Cruising is Not a Crime’ in California!”

“I think it’s appropriate now that we make sure that people can freely and normally go about their lives enjoying these old cars,” Alvarez said “without any possibility of being involved in illegal activity as it currently states.”

Jovita Arellano, president of the National City-based United Lowrider Coalition said, “Our efforts were validated that at the state capitol, they understand the lowrider culture.”

The law’s passage has been met with enthusiasm by advocates, although some groups have expressed concerns about public safety and local autonomy.

The president of the Peace Officers Research Association of California opposed the bill because they “feel strongly that policy decisions that impact individual communities are best made at the local level.”

“We encourage local officials to work with their police departments and communities to tailor solutions to the needs and circumstances of their own neighborhoods,” said, Brian R. Marvel, president of the Peace Officers Research Association of California.

“That will allow policies to be adjusted and amended as needed rather than being restricted by mandates passed down by the state,” continued the activist.

The California Contract Cities Association also criticized the bill writing, “[Cruising] can create traffic control and congestion problems that then generate major logistical challenges for cities and their respective local agencies. Further, cruising can lead to street takeovers that are extremely dangerous.”

Despite the law taking effect in 2024, enthusiasts have already gathered in celebration.

“I started crying. I was so happy,” Arellano said after the bill was signed.

“I called everybody, saying, ‘He signed it. He signed it.’ Today, our coalition is so ecstatic about this celebration,” recalled Arellano.