The must have mods for a 87 GN

P

Peeling GN

my budget is $1,000, what are the absolutley must have parts for more hp and getting into the 12's

You just got some excellent advice...the 12 sec recipe in the tech articles of www.gnttype.org is very straight forward. It does not take much to get into the twelves assuming the car is in proper working condtion. Read the spring cleaning article over there, as well.

Open K&N filter, test pipe, race chip, race gas, turn the boost up, traction.

Now, to deal with it, you need a boost gauge, fuel pressure, and a full blown scan tool with recording capabilities so you replay your runs and see what is going, and perhaps, a knock alarm and guages...(oil pressure/water temp)

Mean Buicks has given you the best single piece of advice anyone can provide you at this point.

He took the time to answer your post & give you the link.

Why not take the time to follow through & check it out?

You'll be glad you did.

HTH

:)

You'll need to be prepared to run race gas to hit the 12s with mostly stock parts. If this is more of a street bruiser that will only see the track every once i a while, I would suggest the SMC alky kit, only after the spring cleaning has been done and the car is running properly, and you have a scan tool.

1. Scan tool
2. Fuel pump & hotwire kit
3. Intake
4. Exhaust
5. Read www.gnttype.org
6. Adjustable wastegate actuator
7. Gauges

It does no good to add parts if you cant see how the car is performing, so a scan tool is a must!!

I agree with the above except for the alky.I would be hesitant to use alky if you don't have prior tuning experiences with these cars. Mid 12's are cake on a stock everything TR. Tuning alone should get you there. Once you've mastered tuning the stock parts, then upgrading and tuning should be alot safer. A scan tool is a must, ascantool you can record with and play back later is even better.

scantool..................................$250
fuel pump................................$100
hot wir kit................................$50
adjustable wastegate..............$10
adjustable fp regulator............$100
aftermarket boost guage.........$40
fuel pressure guage.................$50
K&N...........................................$50

total..........................................$650

That's all new prices. If ya wanna go used you can do even better. After that i'd go injectors to complete the fuel system, than an exhaust. After that you can get the flow in and the flow out, have enough fuel ,and tuning capabilities to add a larger turbo.

Thats all great advice but like i said my budget is $1,000 so i dont think i will be able to get all those parts, so i was asking the MUST HAVE things, besides K&N (car came with it) that will be within or belpw $1,000

1. Scan tool - $150-250
2. Fuel pump & hotwire kit - $150
3. Exhaust - $250
4. Read www.gnttype.org - free
5. Adjustable wastegate actuator - $5 if you read www.gnttype.org
6. Gauges - Boost $60, Water $60, Oil $60, Fuel $60
7. Adjustable fuel pressure regulator - $100

I think that is $995. You still have enough for a coke and a candy bar. You can leave the exhaust off the list if yours is OK, mine was bad, and just by unhooking it would gain 5mph in the quarter.