The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

another

Attachments

• Buick Tags 002.jpg
    Buick Tags 002.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 208
kirban 2 cents worth

I will figure out your label later tonite also since you show your entire VIN it will be interesting to note how close to the end your car was built since it shows 12/87 date and that is when production ended...

Hard to remember things last week let alone from 1996.

kirbanperformance.co

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

Little background about the upcoming trivia question. It will involve 3 car photos and some T-Type Buick answers. Here is some background on the T-Type Buick history.

Earlier we examined the various V6 logos that Buick used during the 1980s. Hopefully some of you learned more than you knew before. Then we touched on the Molly emblems as well.

In some ways the T-Type designation was simialr to what they used over on the Chevy cars when they inserted the SS emblem on the Camaro, Chevelle and full size Chevrolet Impalas to name a few. Difference is the SS meant performance.

In the Buick world basically the T-Type designation outside of the turbo regal versions meant different suspension upgrades and interior enhancements from what I recall and have seen. The most obvious interior enhancements you may have run across in other T-Type models can be seen in the variation of leather wrapped steering wheels. Some had the leather go up higher on the spokes and had different center caps. T-Type models had stiffer suspension upgrades and alloy wheels.

Many different T-Types in the Buick line up lacked sales as the Buick crowd was an older crowd. The one most of you are probably familar with or remember would be the LeSabre T-Types built the front wheel drive platform notably the 1987-88-89 models offered only in 4 different colors. (black-silver-white-burgundy)

You could say Buick threw everyone a curve ball on the 1987 Turbo Regals by renaming them Turbo-T dropping the T-Type designation.

Whereas in the Chevy world the SS badge on most of their examples you can count on it being a true performance car. In the Buick world T-Type designation that theory will not hold true. I can't recall Pontiac or Olds having a central theme like Buick or Chevy.

Will be sending the info tonite to Mr AMC to post the next contest. Good luck players.

kirbanperformance.com

kirban 2 cents worth

On the above G Sean SPI (trunk ID label) of probably most interest is how close to the end is this GN? Everyone probably knows the production number starts after the letter "P" The last production GN had the VIN 465288. Seans car rolls out with 464742....both built in December. Doing the math Seans car is 546 from the end. Its pretty close.

In looking at the codes:

You got the steel bumper supports, VK3 front license plate bracket, as noted earlier no floor mats whatsoever, B88 body side moldings $60, no door edge guards, UW4 concert sound $95, UM6 radio $354 next to top of the line unit,
power antenna US7 $70, power windows A31 $210, power locks AU3 $145, C4 delay wipers $55, G80 limited slip, TT5 tungsten headlites $25, T63 head lites on warning $16, A90 power trunk release $50, D68 remote both mirrors $83,

The single code that starts with number 6 and number 7 refer to left and rite front coil springs. One of the cods starting with number 8 and number 9 refer to each rear coil spring LC2 is the engine option $1422, WE2 Grand National option
C60 factory AC $775, PON stands for pontiac mich final assembly point.

That is basically it, some of the codes refer to black trim related to the GN others refer to interior trim colors related to the GN color scheme.

On a side note according to my records production was upped to 125 a day. so, with your car being 546 back from the last one built if my figures are accurate and they did not have any production problems it is safe to say that your car was built within the last 5-6 days of production.

This is my opinion based on records I have. If I am wrong I am not wrong by much.

Thanks for sharing

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

THANKS I knew it was close to the end....it was not delivered to dealership Book Buick in Nutley NJ until March 88 and was titled on 4/19/88 I am Second Owner...still have the rearview mirror tag and # in wax pencil on the Radiator Support....

kirban 2 cents worth

Trivia Contest #61

Not eligible any Turbo Regal employees and the most recent contest winner.

ALso, please no one can help with partial answers. You must post the requird number of answers in a single post.

First correct post with all the correct answers is a winner.

Prize value is $50

Here are the clues:

Posted are 3 partial shots:

Each car shown first list the year then the make

That will give you 6 answers

In my private collection I have a T-Type emblem that is 11 inches long. What does this T-Type emblem say? It was on an actual production car. All the wording is on one line!

I have another T Type emblem that measures 6 inches long the wording is stacked what word is with the T-Type wording?

You need 6 correct car answers and 2 correct T-Type answers for a total of 8 correct answers in the SAME POST to be a winner.

We will update any guesses which means you could be indirectly helping someone else who may be quicker than you.

As the saying goes: the clock is ticking

kirbanpeformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Attachments

• Trivia 3.JPG
    Trivia 3.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Trivia 4.JPG
    Trivia 4.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 148
  • Trivia 5 (Medium).jpg
    Trivia 5 (Medium).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 165
While everyone's doing their homework on the pics.

Here's the labels off my GN.

P1010005-1.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

P1010001-1.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

Not sure if the one below is original, but figured that I'd post it anyways.;)

P1010022-4.jpg

This must be one of the stickers from one of the twin turbo, FBI, GNXs.;)
Thanks.:)
Mike Barnard

kirban 2 cents worth

On Mikes posting label and broadcast sheet: First his door broadcast sheet is in very good condition as you can see it verifies some of the codes to the trunk ID label. These of course reference the door related one such as the D68 remote left & rite mirrors $83 option power windows A31 $210 option power locks AU3 a $145 option. Trim color grey for GN, UW4 is the concert sound II system a $95 option. For those of you that had that feature you can see what a hole they cut in the metal part of the door for these speakers.

In looking at the actual label...WE2 shows it is a GN. Car doe snot have the lite weight VD6 or VD7 bumper braces, does have VK3 front license plate bracket meaning car originally went to a state probably that requires from license plates.

UW1 is the top of the line radio that year $504 option am/fm cassette EQ, US7 is the dreadful power antenna a $70 option, car is a solid roof car, standard C60 system not digital, G80 is the posi read rears have usually 3 codes one for size another for gear 3.42 and 3rd for posi unit (limited slip)

Code starting with number 6 and code starting with number 7 refer to left and rite front coil springs. Codes starting with 8 and 9 refer to left and rite rear springs. NP5 always refers to the leather wrapped steering wheel so that code every turbo regal will have, PON refers to Pontiac, Mich the final assembly point. Partially done n Flint initially then finalized in Pontiac. Also explains P in the VIN number.

This strikes me as odd....car has B48 which is the 9 piece trunk kit $47 option yet whoever ordered it new never sprung for any floor mats yet they sprung for the trunk covering....unusual at least in my opinion. Car got B91 door edge guards and no body side molding.

TT5 is the tungsten headlites $25 option UA6 theft deterant $159 option, some of the other codes reference trim color black etc, N33 is the tilt column $125 option no power seat though.

In a nutshell above explains Mikes label nothing out of the ordinary just the fact whoever ordered it new wanted the better trunk kit yet neglected to order floor mats.

In looking at the cowl tag HO6E H is the year 1987 06 refers to the month which would be June E is the week the 5th week...(I assume June in 1987 had 5 weeks?

Notice the last numbers on the first line match up to the broadcast sheet reference number under body #.....

82c nails down the cloth pallex material AR9 refers to bucket seats the third line of copy refers to the color black obviosuily.

The lightly stamped number sideways 75 I believe to be the sequence number for shipping the body to Pontiac by truck. Reason it is lightly stamped.

Basically if you own a GN the 2nd and 3rd line should read like Mikes does. Not sure if Mike has pulled it or not but the seat cushion broadcast sheet would be the other document he may want to locate to complete the picture.

Comments welcome...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

We welcome any other trunk ID labels or SPI labels as they are also called.

Thanks for taking the time to explain my car. I made a copy of your post and will keep it in the folder with all my other GN stuff.

Mike Barnard

kirban 2 cents worth

I think the latest trivia contest now shows on near the bottom of the previous page (50).....be sure to check it out as prize value is $50....takes 8 correct answers in the same post....to be a winner.

Appreciate the nice words also...

kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

I think the latest trivia contest now shows on near the bottom of the previous page (50).....be sure to check it out as prize value is $50....takes 8 correct answers in the same post....to be a winner.

Appreciate the nice words also...

kirban

To get the ball rolling on this quiz, here are my guesses: 67 Ford Galaxie 500 XL, 73 Olds Cutlass Salon and a 04? Chrysler Crossfire. The 6" emblem has "T-Type" above an intercooled "6" and the long emblem may be Lesabre T-Type.

Paul

First, thank you so very much for the emblem. I recieved it in the mailt today

I was just wondering what the emblem is from. It's the top one shown in the photo.

news_photo-large_image-102.jpg

First, thank you so very much for the emblem. I recieved it in the mailt today

I was just wondering what the emblem is from. It's the top one shown in the photo.

news_photo-large_image-102.jpg

kirban 2 cents worth

the emblem you got is the one that went on the Riviera turbo cars 1984-1985 vintage maybe earlier. it went on the lower front fender....they had a similar one on the dash also.

Regal guys like it and put it on their console....

enjoy

kirban

To get the ball rolling on this quiz, here are my guesses: 67 Ford Galaxie 500 XL, 73 Olds Cutlass Salon and a 04? Chrysler Crossfire. The 6" emblem has "T-Type" above an intercooled "6" and the long emblem may be Lesabre T-Type.

Paul

kirban 2 cents worth

Here is what is correct of the 8 answers I am seeking:

1967 Ford Galaxie, Olds but WRONG YEAR Crossfire but wrong year

The emblem answers are totally wrong. The long one remember has everything on one line....the shorter one has words on 2 lines. You need to explain better but still not correct on the emblems.

So rite now 4 correct answers of the 8 are out there for everyone to see....Prize value is at $50......

Good opening try Paul...

I am hoping this contest stretches into weekend....

kirban

the emblem was used on the '84-'85 turbo Riviera. I sold 2 NOS ones a few months ago.

kirban 2 cents worth

Mr sixbanger curious what did you get for them?

Here is a question for you....

With your AMC background and also mr amc background what part do you think I produced several years ago...that was the SAME part found on the same GM cars from the same time period. In other words I made a part for GM cars from the 1960s that was dead on the same as your AMC cars from that time period.

What part was it?????

I may not be as sharp on the AMC cars....but was sharp enough to make this part for a few years....mostly bought by the high end collectors...

Any guesses?

Locally to me a guy has a 4 speed rogue coupe he shows....think they are kinda rare....

I think it was $75 shipped, but not sure. I will have to think about the part you made. Not much worked, they used the same dist on the Rambler 327 as the SBC but can't think of any thing else.I also had a 1966 Rogue 290 w a 4 speed. Nice little cars, drove nice.