You can type here any text you want

The way I installed my new front springs...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rosadod

A lot of people advise not to remove the 2 lower control arm bolts because they're a PITA to line up with the new spring installed. I say do it, but make sure you have the car on stands and 2 jacks to support each side of the control arm. That's the key... with 2 jacks setup in parallel you can raise each side of the control arm slowly and move the jacks into the proper position. As you move the jacks up, you focus on one side to line up. Once you put the one bolt in, you can remove the jack from that side and easily maneuver the other one in position for the other bolt. It took me all of 10 minutes to get both sides lined up and the bolts in.

I do agree that with 1 jack lining up the holes can be a difficult and tedious task.

or just put a spring compressor where the shock would go and compress then bolt the control arm on then release the compressor and done.. alot safer and quicker

Snap-on

When i worked for chevy in the early 90's . they had the tool that looked like a trans jack. It grabbed control arm at both bushings . 40 mins and you were done with both sides.those were the days.:D i do have the snap-on tool that goes through the shock hole and it works great .

A lot of people advise not to remove the 2 lower control arm bolts because they're a PITA to line up with the new spring installed. I say do it, but make sure you have the car on stands and 2 jacks to support each side of the control arm. That's the key... with 2 jacks setup in parallel you can raise each side of the control arm slowly and move the jacks into the proper position. As you move the jacks up, you focus on one side to line up. Once you put the one bolt in, you can remove the jack from that side and easily maneuver the other one in position for the other bolt. It took me all of 10 minutes to get both sides lined up and the bolts in.

I do agree that with 1 jack lining up the holes can be a difficult and tedious task.

I put lowered springs in my GN last weekend. I just removed the sway bar links, removed the shock, and broke both the tie rod and lower spindle joints. Spring popped right out. Then I used a spring compressor to put the new spring in and connected the lower A-arm to the lower spindle, which holds the spring in place. As I loosen the spring compressor, I make sure the spring is sitting properly in the pocket. Once it is where it should be sitting, I remove the spring compressor and install the tie rod, shocks and sway bar links. Which is the way I've always installed new springs. It's quick and simple.

or just put a spring compressor where the shock would go and compress then bolt the control arm on then release the compressor and done.. alot safer and quicker

Snap-on

With two jacks you don't need a compressor to get the springs in or out. Just lower/raise each side slowly. Your way is technically safer if the compressor is used correctly, but difinitely not faster... I've done them both ways ;)

Comments please!

I just got done installing a front end rebuild poly kit GM Polygraphite SUPER Front End Kits , and springs, shocks, and the center link.
My comment or question is, will my local front end shop be able to align the front end? The tires are really toed in at the road and out at the top. Is this unusual when puting new stock replacement springs in? I should have measured the difference in height between the two springs, I had to use a spring compressor to get them in..... I am going to dig out my receipt for the springs to make sure they are the correct part #. Ok it appears to be the right part # here is the link
Zip Code Entry at PartsAmerica.com
Maybe I should take a picture....
Chuck

yes you should and find out when the warranty on the alighnment is up, and a few days before it does and the springs wore in some get it aligned again. the springs need to seat in the control arms that is why it will sit so high at first then it will lower a little then it will be fine.

Thanks for the comment, I am paranoid because it was such a all day job and did not want to go back there again(under the car).

Chuck

Back