You can type here any text you want

Those that have been there...opinions please..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
I'm looking for opinions (good or bad) from those of you that have done a cam/heads swap while the motor is still in the engine bay. This winter I'm R&R the heads and cam and would rather not yank the motor for a few reasons. I know the heads won't be that big of a deal, it's the cam I'm more concerned about. I guess the main question is: Can the cam be R&R with the engine still in the car, and without having to remove everything in front of the motor? If you've done this successfully, any specific tips or warnings will be greatly appreciated! Sure would be nice to leave the motor in there. TIA

I´ve done it on two 350´s. There I had to remove the radiator to be able to get the camshaft out. But I´ve never done it on the TTA, my engine is out of the car.

Originally posted by turbov6joe
I'm looking for opinions (good or bad) from those of you that have done a cam/heads swap while the motor is still in the engine bay. This winter I'm R&R the heads and cam and would rather not yank the motor for a few reasons. I know the heads won't be that big of a deal, it's the cam I'm more concerned about. I guess the main question is: Can the cam be R&R with the engine still in the car, and without having to remove everything in front of the motor? If you've done this successfully, any specific tips or warnings will be greatly appreciated! Sure would be nice to leave the motor in there. TIA

I haven't pulled the cam but, my heads have been off several times. If you haven't pulled the heads before I can think of one little tip when doing this, use a six point socket for the head bolts.
Oh yea, another thing, take some digital pics of your intake before removing all the bolts/studs.

I've done it on several V8 f-bodies but it's been a while. If I remember correctly I had to pull the radiator and was able to lift the condenser up and out of the way without disconecting it. I dont remember if the two metal braces that form an X in front of the condenser were an issue but easy to remove if they are. That might not be an issue with the V6 as the cam is shorter and the motor is shorter.

HTH,
Steve

I could prolly do the heads on an LC2 in my sleep...maybe 1/2 a sleep on the TTA's. If the cam won't come out without me ripping off most of the front end, then pulling the motor is the easiest way to get'r done. I would like to think that the V6 cam will come out with IC out and the radiator in place....who knows??? My motor mounts are a real bastard, and the tranny can be a real PITA as well at times...that's why I would prefer to leave it in and do the job. This way I don't need to bug a buddy or my pop to come out and help me guide the F'n thing back into the bay if I pull it. Anyhow, any other opinions will be appreciated.

Joe,
It should come out. The radiator may need to get pulled.. but thats about it. Engine sits far back and is not as long as a V8..

I wouldnt sweat it.

HTH

cam R&R

Yeah, the cam can be removed in the car, but you have to make room for it by pulling the intercooler, radiator and maybe the condenser. If possible, it is always best to give yourself as much room as possible. I haven't done this one, but am extrapolating from my mind's eye view of my car. V6 cams are short, so who knows...
Wouldn't it be better to yank the motor and do this all on a stand?
Good luck!

I have done it, pull the intercooler and accessories off the front and leave the radiator in the car, no problems due to the short cam in a V6 and the fact that the engine sits far enough back.

That's what I was waiting to hear...thanks! Now if I could just decide on what cam grind to use....man, I'm worse that my wife making decisions???

Yes, the cam clears the radiator by several inches. Just pull all the front acc and IC and you golden.

Took me a day and half first time on my old TTA

Ok Jeff, so your saying the radiator can stay in....great! Looks like it's just the main frontal parts and acc. to get'er done. The TTA heads are easier to torque without using wobble joints than the TR's for sure. Thanks!

Back