thoughts of a turbo 3300?

REDS HOT AIR

Buick Tweaker
i've got a 93 achieva with a 3300 motor in it and im thinking of putting the sock turbo off my 85 hotair motor on it and keeping the boost down to not hurt things ...what do you guys think of this idea ?

it would be a pretty simple thing to do since im not looking to i/c it and i've already got the turbo.

hmmm, sound like a cool idea, but you'll have to keep the boost really low. Doesn't that have the 3 speed, I'm not sure how much torque that could take. It would be alot of work though, making exhaust, and trying to fit it in. Maybe a easier thing would be to fit in a 3.8 :D

i dont think it will be hard at all since i plan to mount the turbo right where the exaust bolts to the rear manifold then i would just need a piece to go from the elbo on the turbo to the exaust.

i could swap it out for a 3.8 but all i have drove n/a the 3300 will run right beside the 3.8 cars

as far as boost im thinking in the 6-8# range :confused:

The 3300 engines came stock with 9:1 compression but had cast pistons and weak rods. The block, crank, and heads should support boost without a problem. There might be an issue with the stock cam because I think it has shorter exhaust duration than intake which is opposite what you want for a boosted engine. I would say you could probably safely run about 6lbs of boost if your timing is in check. Beware of detonation w/boost on those cast pistions. The 3300 has a 3.61" bore and 3.31" stroke compared to a 3800/3.8's 3.8" bore and 3.4" stroke.

I have actually heard good things about the reliability of the 125-C 3spd auto transmission. These tranny's are frequently used in V8 fiero conversions and I have had personal experience with a 3800 Series 1 SC swap into a fiero with a 125-C. This tranny really only had 2 issues, the TCC solenoid and 2nd gear band burnup, both which are servicable in the vehicle (providing you still have 2nd gear). The 2nd gear band problem that occurs is usually due to an incorrect length 2nd gear piston pin. While you are checking, or having the pin length checked, you can also see if your tranny has the better 2nd gear piston installed. Most of the 125-C's I have seen have not. The better piston that is availible has much of the same effect a corvette servo has on a stock 700r4. (i.e. better 2nd gear shifts).

cool sounds like some good imput there...i dont know much about the 330 except it dont run bad now and that a lil boost could make it run better of course.;)

i was out there yesterday trying to figur this pproject out i think it would strike down several un aware victoms at stop lights..:eek:

and if i happen to blow it up then i'll toss a 3800 in it and really make em scratch their heads when a lil front drive 4 door bust there hyney

thanks for the input i think it will be interesting to do even if it dont work out to good but i think it will work fine long as i dont go crazy with boost on it.

RED