Thoughts on what setup I should run up front?

oc192

I have Boston Acoustic 6x9s in the rear, havent mounted them yet because I am waiting on the adapters. In the meantime, i am debating what I should get for the fronts. I want to run Boston for all of my mids and highs....

Should I get 5.25 2-way speakers for the doors and disconnect the dash speakers all together?

Should I get 5.25 components and mount the tweeter where the 3.5s are?

Should I get 5.25 2-way for the doors and 3.5 2-ways for the dash?

which combo do you think will yield the best sound?

The components will cost roughly the same as 5.25 and 3.5 2-way speakers combined.

Go with the components. Separating the sound will be better. I would go with the 6.5 if you can , thats what I have up front and I love them. But 5.25 will do. And as for Bostons, Go with the pro series minimum!:cool:

I would not forgo the dash speakers, as they provide some of the front staging/imaging and also provide the highs, being that they are near ear level. :smile:

I would not forgo the dash speakers, as they provide some of the front staging/imaging and also provide the highs, being that they are near ear level. :smile:

Thanks Joe, the current plan was to place the tweeter where the 3.5s go. Not sure where to mount the tweeters if I kept the dash speakers? So you would go with 3.5s in the dash, the components in the door and wire up in series?

Thanks,
Don

I made pods for a pair of BA 5.25's which fit the existing hole of CSII door panels. I had to remove the CSII grilles to make it fit. I mounted the tweets in the dash with them firing into the windshield. I thought it sounded killer but it may be a bit "bright" for some. All I had was an 8" Bazooka in the rear and it was a really nice and simple package. The car has totally changed now but the old setup was nice. I have the old 5.25 components and pods for sale if interested.

oc192, yes run the doors and dash speakers in series (whatever you decide to use ie: components, 5 1/4 doors, 3.5 inch dash, etc...) This will help the radio amp drive the fronts a little easier. When running the fronts, doors and dash, in parallel (factory wiring set up), this effectively lowers the impedance of the fronts as a whole and draws more current from the radio amp, which is usually marginal output power at best. The facory speakers, If concert sound 11 were 10 ohms each (both doors and dash). Non concert sound 3.5 inch dash speakers were 4 ohms. For example, if you are running aftermarket speakers for doors and dash and they are all 4 ohms, if left wired in parallel, then the radio amp would see 2 ohms per channel. If wired in series the radio amp will see a 4 ohm load per channel, which is fine. There is a much better explanation of this in the stickies listed above (TR factory wiring/CS 11). Don't forget that the radio amp still has to run the rears as well (unless you install an additional amp for rear deck speakers). So you can increase the longevity of the radio by wiring the fronts in this manner. Good Luck!