You can type here any text you want

THRASHER ANTI-THEFT - no start problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PaulRV6

I put this chip in to race with and had nothing but problems getting it started. Seemed to get progressively worse and not the time to have it happen in the staging lanes while moving ahead.
This was happening each time I shut it off at various times thruout the nite. I know I was going thru the proper sequence. At first it started great then the next time stall maybe 1 or 2 times until it just wouldn't start. Put a different chip in and it started and idled great.

Scott, hope you read this cause I need some direction on how to diagnose this problem. The chip works great but the anti-theft is a pain.
Please let me know what to check and to isolate the problem. Thanks

paul

One possible problem could be the battery voltage is reading too low for the chip.

Dannyo

Ok that is one possibility, what are the limits? Where should I be checking it and at what point? I know the battery reads 12.5 v at rest.
Please be more specific, thanks.

paul

Yep, probably battery. You should buy a Delco battery as that is what the chip is based on.

Never failed to start with one of those, at least for me.

Originally posted by PaulRV6
Ok that is one possibility, what are the limits? Where should I be checking it and at what point? I know the battery reads 12.5 v at rest.
Please be more specific, thanks.

paul

If, at any time, the voltage drops below 9.1v (even during cranking) it will reset the anti theft routine and you wont be able to start.

A weak or dieing battery will always cause problems with the Thrasher anti theft routine.

Just for all that responded, I do have a new Delco battery installed. I put the thrasher back in today (took out yesterday) and after going thru the sequence twice it started. I was also watching the voltage and it dropped to 10.5v for a split second only.
What else can I check?

paulb

If the battery is good and you still have problems with starting, there are some other things to check. I will e-mail them to you.

Note, the voltage drop during starting is normal as the starter really, really sucks the juice out of a battery.

Take your battery in and have it load tested....That way you'll know for sure about your battery, and, may not have to look any further. Charge it before you take it in for the test. A "good" battery will have closer to 12.8 volts at rest. :)

Bad tranny switches... seen this happen mucho times.

You can verify with direct scan..

HTH

Back