thread sealant on head bolts

blackgn231

Money pit
I put my motor together about 5 yrs ago and the guy helping me said not to worry about using sealer on the head bolts but have never have seen any water leaking from them,any ideas why?will I see a problem later if so can you remove one bolt at a time and seal them I know this is dumb thing to do but this was my first engine and he had done a few so thought he know more than ,I did and thoughts?:confused:

I put my motor together about 5 yrs ago and the guy helping me said not to worry about using sealer on the head bolts but have never have seen any water leaking from them,any ideas why?will I see a problem later if so can you remove one bolt at a time and seal them I know this is dumb thing to do but this was my first engine and he had done a few so thought he know more than ,I did and thoughts?:confused:

He put them in just dry were they stock head bolts?

thread sealer

yes they were the stock bolts he was a chevy guy ,and said that chevy has bolts that go into the water jackets and he had never used sealer.

Do not take 1 bolt out at a time stock bolts need replacing if removed. No
sealant necessary.

I dont know if its the same but I just rebuilt my SBC motor for my monte SS and I used the permatex non-hardening silicone on my head bolts. Before applying the bolts Id clean off the threads with a wire wheel as well. Good luck

If it's been a couple of years and you haven't had any problems leave them alone. Just because you didn't put sealant on them doesn't mean they have to leak. Especially if you used stock replacements as they usually have a sealer on them already. Remember, if it's not broke, don't fix it. james