You can type here any text you want

Thread sealer question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRICKSIXPA

East Coast Go fast with class club MAGNA!!!
Staff member
Quick question is there suppose to be thread sealer on the 5 bolts to the Oil Pump cover?

If you mean the 6 bolts that hold the filter adapter to the cover, then no. They don't need sealer.

The only ones that need sealer are the cover bolts that hit fluid in the engine, and the long water pump bolts.

Yes six bolts. I thought I read somewhere to, but all the ones I've removed never had anything on them they have all been clean. I know about the water jacket bolts on the pump. Since we got out of the polar vortex up here. I'm finally gonna be firing her up soon just wanted to make sure.

If you haven't built it yet. Once you pick out the gasket you're going to use, soak it in oil for a little bit before installing it.

After you put the filter adapter on, wait a few minutes and give it a final torquing downing. As long as your surfaces are flat and clean that'll pretty much guarantee a leak free seal.

Oil pump gasket gets soaked in oil?
Did not do that but my surfaces where clean and flat. I guess you wipe the gasket off a bit before installing it? Motors been primed on the stand got around 50-60 psi on the gauge. Motor is all back together now. I was going to unplug the Orange wire and let the starter crank a little to make sure the gauge is reading pressure. Put some fresh cardboard under the car to make sure there are not any leaks during break in.

It's an old trick from way back when. I think the brits started it. Basically it lets the gaskets swell up a little when it gets impregnated with oil. Then when you tighten it down it gives better contact between the two workpieces. Waterpump gaskets and paper ex manifold gaskets I soak in water first.

Back