Tightening play in streering wheel

G

GRAYGHOST

Steering is real "loose" feeling. Not responsive, going straight down the road you can see saw wheel maybe an inch back and forth with no action. Don't like! I think I have heard on the steering box to loosen nut around the allen bolt, and tighten, but I have also heard that if you over tighten it can eat up the internals. Any body with some expertise here? thanks....

Yeah you can try adjusting it but there is a specific procedure so you do not overtighten the bolt and then loose the ability for the steering to come back to center because the box is too tight. Check all of your front suspension first. Bad bushings, tie rod ends, Idler arm, wheel bearings, etc, etc can all cause a loose feeling. Also check the rag joints on the steering shaft from the firewall/column to the steering box. I have flaming river solid U joints and splined shaft on my street car now. Love them. Also make sure there is no play in the steering column inside the car. I had play in the tilt assembly on mine and caused a loose feeling. Good Luck

I wish it was as easy as tightening the nut. I went through this already, and was scared to drive the car it was so bad. I went to a local TR guy and had the entire front end rebuilt, tried 3 different steering boxes, new steering wheel shaft, brakes and break lines, just about everything. The car has 200k miles on it, so everything was pretty worn out. $2000 later and its pretty good now. Before, it was a white knuckle ride going down the interstate, now I can steer with my knees talk on the phone, flip through the scanmaster, eat a big mac, drink a coke and smoke a cig all at the same time!! ;)

I had the same slop in the steering wheel. I found that there was some loosness in the joint between the steering column and the steering box shaft.

Grab hold of the steering box output shaft and have someone try to turn the wheel and perhaps you will find the same thing.

You should be able to see and feel the slack easily this way.

The bolt for this joint is above the fiber reinforced rubber washer in the steering shaft. I socked this bolt down a bit and no more sloppy wheel. Don't over tighten it or you will bind up the joint, it should still be a bit loose just not excessive.

Hope its that easy for you too.

Rebuild rag joint if bad using Help line of products from AZone. Its not fun. You have to grind out the GM lock pins/rivets. Checking is easy, just get a friend to move wheel side to side with car off. You can look at 3 things now: Look at joint-self explanatory. 2 look at input shaft going into box while just barely moving shaft yourself. input to box VS output to pitman arm should not show much slop, if very sloppy its a box problem (keep in mind that power assist will tighten it up somewhatas fluid cushions play. 3 finally check centerlink pivot.
BTW-there is quite a bit of manufacturing tolerance on steering boxes. One car will have a tighter box and another wont. The procedure to set one up is very long. So i doubt it is ever done with loving care at GM. One finger hiway steering rules!
I bet your rag joint is el toasto.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
. Before, it was a white knuckle ride going down the interstate, now I can steer with my knees talk on the phone, flip through the scanmaster, eat a big mac, drink a coke and smoke a cig all at the same time!! ;)

LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU'LL BE ON I-4, SO I CAN TAKE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE. :p