You can type here any text you want

Timing chain first timer

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TR87386

Just got done reading about 100 posts on rear main and timing chain replacement procedures and am about to dive in. I was thinking of replacing the water pump while there also. Cottons sells the delco replacement is this a good choice? Cooling system is up to par currently but you know while I have it apart. Some of the threads suggested checking out the front cover condition and doing a mod to improve oiling. The cover will not need to be completely disassembled to remove correct?? My car has 89,xxx miles and good oil PSI. 20-25psi hot 10-40 royal purple. Motor is stock never opened, this does not seem like a good idea to me what do you guys think? I have never messed with the front cover on one of these before and am a little intimidated by the whole thing. I have owned this car 15 years and would like to think I know a good bit about them but I also understand they are tricky to work on sometimes and when messing with the oil pump don't want to do something stupid. :eek: TIA- Patrick

timing cover

Just finished the timing chain and timing cover days ago. It was not really that bad and this was my first time. I put a factory timing chain back on and a new GM front cover. You just have to make sure you have it on TDC on the compresssion stroke. It took me a total of 5 days to complete the project. If I did not have to work I could have done it in a couple of days. It is said you can finish the whole project in 4 hours. Make sure you upgrade your cam button. Good luck.
By the way Earl Brown puts a front cover with mods, blueprinted. I bought one from him and it works perfect. He used only GM original covers. Go it Turbobuicks. com and look for his ad on parts for sale. Around $400.get you one.

Back