You can type here any text you want

Timing chain options.....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Nighttrain

Looking to replace my timing chain soon. Is there a preferred brand for our cars? I've heard of Cloyes and Milodon, are these good ones? Opinions welcome. Thanks.

For a stock replacement, it's hard to beat the Cloyes/SpeedPro/etc. single roller replacement offerred at AutoZone/Advanced Auto/etc. with a new factory tensioner. Do a search and you will find that most do not recommend a double roller replacement.

El cheapo stocker with a brand new tensioner.. just make sure the Cam gear is steel not nylon.

One of those areas where the stock stuff rules......

Careful with the fancy chains..they can sometimes give weird unexpected problems.. like knock sensor issues.

I have not run a rollmaster, but did a search on this topic a while back and found two problems that people posted about with respect to the rollmaster-- chain stretch and noise setting off the knock sensor at high rpm.

There are obvious benefits as well, but I decided not to go with one for my application.

As I recall, there were a bunch of good threads on turbobuicks.com on this one. Here's one: http://www.turbobuicks.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004371#000008

Scott

Originally posted by GN SBS
I have not run a rollmaster, but did a search on this topic a while back and found two problems that people posted about with respect to the rollmaster-- chain stretch and noise setting off the knock sensor at high rpm. Scott

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I have installed about 50 of them in turbo Buicks and yet to see the problems you mention.

Lee said it, nothing better!:) A stock replacement will work fine for the street.

I dunno..low reving motor..unless you run a roller cam..then there is no choice. Or a big cam..

There is a nickname for those chains.. Rolldisaster :D

I didnt make that up..so I cant take the credit.

For a little cam/stocker,
Sometimes.. less is more..

Back